Spaghetti Aglio Olio w/ fresh peas and Jumbo Shrimp.

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 10, 2017, 11:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Spaghetti Aglio Olio is a very popular dish among Italians. Its a basic recipe using the freshest ingredients, The best EVOO and a few extra's here and there can really put it over the top!

In addition to the olive oil, onion, tons of garlic, hot pepper flakes, parsley, grated cheese, and sweet basil, there's a few things that can really make a difference.
Most people reserve the pasta water to add to the olive oil and garlic sauce mixture. I do the same but cooking the pasta in chicken broth or if its a heavy seafood dish, a fish broth or clam juice makes the difference for a standout dish!
The pasta really absorbs these broths and makes for great flavors that are just simply amazing!
I precooked the shrimp in the Oil/garlic mixture until 3/4 done, remove and set aside. In the same pan add 4 to 5 ladles of the reserved flavored pasta water, simmer for a few minutes, add fresh peas, pasta, pre cooked shrimp, hot pepper flakes and a good shot of Pecorino Romano. Stir gently for a minute or two.

When plating, a little extra EVOO, Parsley, Sweet Basil, hot pepper flakes, grated cheese and your good to go! ;)

Needless to say I over ate but I'll work it off. As usual, I'm very happy at the moment. White wine is probably recommended to go along with this dish but as always, I prefer the red!

Try it, you'll like it :)

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Maxed Out

Wow Lou, you are multi talented and your culinary skills rival a high dollar restaurant.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Alto Mare

You are correct Lou, we do that often... that looks good!
My version is a little simpler, no chicken broth.
I start as you do with olive oil, a couple of chopped dried hot peppers and a couple of garlic cloves, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Cook the spagetti in salted water and pull them out al dente, add the oil and a cup of pecorino and stir.
we also keep a cup or two of spagetti water, we like ours a little wet.
A little more pecorino on top, with some italian parsly and on the table it goes.
This is one dish that has to be served hot, or it will dry up quick.

If you enjoy that dish, try carbonara.
Cubed pancetta to start with a little olive oil, but cubed bacon will do just as good. I actually like smoked bacon in mine.
I usually place a cup of bacon in the frying pan cut into 1/2" cubes, I'll get in nice and burned.
I will then add two cloves of garlic and hot pepper.
Again, cook the spagetti al dente, by the way I like regular spagetti, no angel hair.
Drain the spagetti, add the bacon, olive oil and a cup of pecorino and mix. In the meantime beat up one or two egg yokes, we like to use just one, pour it over the cooked pasta and mix a little. Keep it covered for a minute, the heat from the cooked pasta will cook the egg to perfection.
Add a little more pecorino on top and sevve hot.
As you've mentioned this dish will also need a cup or two of spagetti water or it will be too dry.
Pecorino romano is good, but my favorite is Crotonese.
Crotonese is very expensive, but if you go to restaurant depot, it will be very reasonable. Not all restaurant depot carry it though.

Buon appetito!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

You guys are killing me !!

I can barely cook a hot dog :o
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ChileRelleno

WOW!  :o

Y'all pay attention to this man... Cause he has me beat three ways to one.
I tell ya Lou, I'm copying recipes and taking notes.
My wife peeked over my shoulder and said,"Now, that looks great!"
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Guys! When you love to eat, cooking is second nature!

Remember, if you make this dish, save all the pasta water until the end. If its to dry when you combine everything together, just add another ladle or two of the reserved water.

Sal, I absolutely love that with the pancetta and eggs. Its been a while since I've made it but the egg adds a richness that is SOOOO good. Of course pancetta or bacon goes great on just about anything. Your absolutely correct on the pasta too. If its not al dente its not pasta!

Eggs get overlooked and can really take a dish to the next level. When I make Chinese fried rice, I'll make a couple eggs on the crispy side, put them on top of the rice and just break thru the yoke so it runs over everything. Getting hungry! Even top your burger with one, its my favorite way.

Sal, visiting Italy was on our bucket list. Everything exceeded our expectations! The sights were spectacular, friendly people, and the food was to die for. Fresh and simply cooked is hard to beat. I have a tendency to get carried away at times. Oh ya, the cured meats were unbelievable and I never had a bad glass of wine. Some places even served it for breakfast!
Thanks for sharing your recipe's!

The best to all,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou: I know how good of Italian cook you are, I tasted your cooking first hand. Great job!! As you know all us Italian's have our own twist on meals. If I have to say so myself "There all Great!!"  ;) ;D 

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

You guys are real Rennasaince men! DaVinci would be proud

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Dominick

Lou I saw this yesterday.  So I went off to the store for clams and basically made the same dish with clams.  I had to have my spaghetti after seeing your post.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

I had almost that. Spaghetti, EVOO, Garlic 6 Pcs., Parsley & S&P. Simmer for a while till Garlic colors a little. Parm. Cheese & Red Pepper Flakes. We also had Fried Flounder & Cocktail Sauce.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.