Penn International 80VSW

Started by TheReelShop, March 27, 2017, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

I received an 80 vsw for repair. Issue is theres rubbing on the spool/frame. When you pull the line with drag you feel the grind although not continuos but occasional. So I took apart the reel and did not see any frame bend. Then I went further and inspected the shaft for bends and to my eye I did not see any bends. Upon taking the sideplate screws out, I noticed they were all loose. I reassembled everything and now it spins well. Although this seems to be fixed, I noticed upon close inspection, a alteration of spacing when the spool is spinning. The gap between the spool and frame changes as the spool is spinning.

Is that minor amount of alternating play normal or is it supposed to spin straight?

Bill B

Can't help you brother, but John (tighlines) or Keith (handi) would be the experts on the international...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

TheReelShop

I tried posting a video but having issues. Regardless it spins good now all i did was tighten everything up. still feel theres a bend in the shaft but extremely minor.

Tightlines667

Quote from: TheReelShop on April 04, 2017, 01:35:12 AM
I tried posting a video but having issues. Regardless it spins good now all i did was tighten everything up. still feel theres a bend in the shaft but extremely minor.

As long as it works w/o rubbing when under pressure you should be good.  I have had to replace 3 total shafts due to being bent out of several hundred Internationals serviced.  So it is nit common, but not unheard of either.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 04, 2017, 02:04:18 AM
Quote from: TheReelShop on April 04, 2017, 01:35:12 AM

As long as it works w/o rubbing when under pressure you should be good.  I have had to replace 3 total shafts due to being bent out of several hundred Internationals serviced.  So it is nit common, but not unheard of either.

John

Thanks John. Yea i figured id leave it alone. But wanted a second expert opinion.