DAM Quick 220 spool drag

Started by happyhooker, March 30, 2017, 03:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Hello to all; this is my first question, as  I am new.  Have rehabbed a few reels over the years, but got into a DAM Quick 220 (NOT "N") for the 1st time yesterday.

Fred's tutorial on his 221 overhaul was most interesting.  But, how do you get the drag innards out of the spool?  I have a spool with a very small black drag knob and underneath it is one of the 8-eared "washers"; how does that "washer" come out?  A "washer", in my mind, should be just loose, as opposed to a lock ring, say, but this one is "stuck" inside the recess below the drag knob.  I pried at it a little, but was hesitant to get too aggressive, with the plastic spool, etc.  I can see another washer and some other "things" under the 8-eared "washer" that appear loose, but how to get at them...?

Any thoughts appreciated.  Looking forward to being a member.

bhale1

Happy,
Welcome! You will quickly learn that there is not much the AT clan can't help with as far as reels :)
I'm sure Fred or Tommy (or many others) and be of assistance. Again Welcome.
(Hope this isn't a duplicate...Wi-Fi issues!)
Brett

foakes

Hello, and welcome, HH --

Just insert a tiny flat bladed screwdriver under the lock ring -- then just twist it slightly -- the locker will pop right out.  The teeth hold the drag stack in place -- it is not mean't to move or rotate.

Clean up the cavity, spring, and drag stack -- replace any worn washers -- reassemble, test for function, that is about it.  Drop of oil on the spool sleeve, and maybe a new under gear washer.

If any other questions -- just let us know.

Many of us have different expertises with different reels -- I try to specialize in Quick, Mitchell, Penn, and Daiwa.  Others know much more about other types of reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.