Bumpy retrieve on penn spinners

Started by rippin_lips, March 10, 2017, 09:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

I have a penn clash 2500 and a slammer III 3500.  Previously my clash would start to feel "bumpy" when under a bit of load retrieving a lure, almost as if the gears weren't meshing perfectly. It's not huge and I figured it just needed a shim but haven't gotten around to it. On my last fishing trip my slammer 3500 started to feel the same way.  It had been rock solid previously without a hint of a "bumpy" feeling, but it started to feel exactly the same as the clash using the same lure. Could it be the lures action I'm feeling coming through the braid? I'm using soft plastics with a swimming tail. Or is it more likely that under some load the gears are not meshing perfectly? It was odd to me that both reels exhibited the exact same feeling.  Thoughts?

handi2

First try a different lure but I don't think thats the problem. I can feel lures all the way thru my small trout reels too. That way I know they are working.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

Start with the testing to see if it's different with other lures as suggested.

Other thoughts..
What does the inside look like...did salt get in there?
Is the CW block still intact? Sometimes in spinners the blocks start to shred and the pieces float into the gears.

If it was gear to gear contact that could be fixed with a shim, I would think you would have felt it right away.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

rippin_lips

So far it doesn't seem to be the lure, its the tension. More tension on the line when reeling, more "bumpy" feeling.  I will have to do a servicing on the reels and take a close look inside.

boon

I've had lures before that made the reel feel very odd, similar to how you describe. Try pulling something with a bit of drag but that will "swim" straight and see if the issue is still there.

mo65

I'd just tie on a big sinker and toss it out there. If that load feels smooth on retrieve...your gears are fine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

Quote from: mo65 on March 14, 2017, 09:52:26 PM
I'd just tie on a big sinker and toss it out there. If that load feels smooth on retrieve...your gears are fine.

X2  ...big heavy paddle-tails & square-billed crankbaits can feel quite funky w/ zero-stretch line

rippin_lips

Quote from: philaroman on March 15, 2017, 12:17:06 AM
Quote from: mo65 on March 14, 2017, 09:52:26 PM
I'd just tie on a big sinker and toss it out there. If that load feels smooth on retrieve...your gears are fine.

X2  ...big heavy paddle-tails & square-billed crankbaits can feel quite funky w/ zero-stretch line

I'll give this a try