Tri-Flow

Started by Bill B, March 17, 2017, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Has anyone used Tri-Flow?  I was given a can of this by a professional safe cracker and locksmith. He stated he uses this on all his locks and as an internal lubricant on safe mechanisms.  Claims it does not attract dirt in his locks.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

I have used it a lot, my 1 gallon bottle is almost gone now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Thanks for the quick reply Lee....how does it do for corrosion protection?  Comparable to ReelX ?   Bill

Keta

About the same, I used it in SE Alaska.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Cool beans, brother.....Thx   Bill

foakes

Works good, Bill --

Of the 35 or 40 lubes I have tried over the years -- it has stayed in the batting rotation of the only six I still use for various applications.  

The rest got tossed away after just one or two uses.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Thanks for the good info, gents!  Looks like Walmart carries it. 

wfjord

I've been wondering how Tri-Flow would work on reels and was just thinking about asking on this forum. I've been using it for several years on the tuning gears of vintage stringed musical instruments (another interest of mine) and it works wonders in that application, but then my instruments don't normally get anywhere near water.

broadway

I may have to give it a shot with these reviews.
They make an applicator that's refillable which isn't cheap but it's catered to our hobby.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCML7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Dom

Decker

Quote from: wfjord on March 19, 2017, 10:58:25 PM
I've been wondering how Tri-Flow would work on reels and was just thinking about asking on this forum. I've been using it for several years on the tuning gears of vintage stringed musical instruments (another interest of mine) and it works wonders in that application, but then my instruments don't normally get anywhere near water.

When I looked into how to lubricate the gears of tuning pegs of my classical guitar, the advice I received was to stay away from lubricants containing solvents which could damage the finish of the wood.  I use a "dry" lubricant on the tuning gears.  I believe the brand is "Finish Line," and contains Teflon.  It is marketed for bicycles, to use on exposed gears and chains.  It is wet out of the bottle, and I apply it to the gears with a q-tip, and it dries.   Works well, and is not at all messy.  

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bicycle-4-Ounce-Squeeze/dp/B002IDZXRM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1490015448&sr=1-2&keywords=Finish+Line+DRY+Teflon

wfjord

Quote from: Decker on March 20, 2017, 01:06:42 PM
When I looked into how to lubricate the gears of tuning pegs of my classical guitar, the advice I received was to stay away from lubricants containing solvents which could damage the finish of the wood.  I use a "dry" lubricant on the tuning gears.  I believe the brand is "Finish Line," and contains Teflon.  It is marketed for bicycles, to use on exposed gears and chains.  It is wet out of the bottle, and I apply it to the gears with a q-tip, and it dries.   Works well, and is not at all messy. 
https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bicycle-4-Ounce-Squeeze/dp/B002IDZXRM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1490015448&sr=1-2&keywords=Finish+Line+DRY+Teflon

I haven't tried that, but it looks to be a good product for that purpose. I'll certainly check it out. I'm always very careful not to get potentially damaging substances on the finish. I use the Tri-flo on the exposed worm & cog gears on vintage open tuners, but first remove the tuners to clean them before applying a thin coating of Tri-Flow to the critical contact areas with a small fine tipped brush. It'll turn 90-year old mandolin tuners that won't stay in tune into tuners that do stay in tune. I hadn't thought about it and I'm not positive on this, but the Tri-flow may have the same drying effect as the tuner gears always appear to be dry afterwards and the benefits seem to last at least 3 years, before I have to repeat the process. The gears seem to stay clean, too.

I had thought of trying the Tri-Flo on one of my reels, but then I'm not sure it would offer any benefits that TSI321 wouldn't handle better.  In fact I may experiment with the TSI321 on the instrument tuners.