Where to buy spool pin pliers?

Started by JRD, March 21, 2017, 08:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I feel a bit dense here.  I've read about the reel speed and Boca pliers, even Alan's modified set up.  I can't find spool pin pliers on Dawn's site, didn't find them at Boca and can't even find a picture of Alan's mod.  Can anyone give me directions please?

Bryan Young

You've exhausted the places I would have recommended.  Sorry, I don't know of any other places.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

You can look at this and decide if it will do what you need.  For small reels.
http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2
-steve

steelhead_killer

I use the little device from hedgehog for real small pins.  I use a punch from Wiha I think its a #1 size for everything else.

Andy
><)))">

steelfish

Quote from: JRD on March 21, 2017, 08:34:44 PM
I feel a bit dense here.  I've read about the reel speed and Boca pliers, even Alan's modified set up.  I can't find spool pin pliers on Dawn's site, didn't find them at Boca and can't even find a picture of Alan's mod.  Can anyone give me directions please?

being there done that ..

I was on the same boat years or months ago.. and after looking for a good spool pin pliers desided to make my own, following the mod from the Boss

this is my attemp
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15012.0

The Baja Guy

mo65

Those pliers rock Steelfish...I'm gonna make myself a pair.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JRD

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  Before reading this I bought a small 3 inch c clamp I was going to try but was afraid of the gimbal on the screw not keeping straight pressure on the pin.  So I'm off tomorrow for a pair of vice grips.

steelfish

Thanks Mo, just giving some help the Same way AT Guys helped me everytime I needed something
The Baja Guy

JRD

Quote from: steelfish on March 22, 2017, 06:16:16 AM
Thanks Mo, just giving some help the Same way AT Guys helped me everytime I needed something

I tried the mod, fantastic and thank you.  The next trauma was getting the bearing off the spool shafts.  On the little trinidads the cast control collar sits against the flange of the spool and encircles the bearing so you can't really get any kind of pulling tool in there.  A lot of head scratching and coffee and a few under my breath 4 letter words later I just decided to dismantle the bearing.  Off came the shields, then the cage then bearings and outer race.  This allowed me to get needle nose vice grips on the inner race and perform a tug of war.  Its finally act of defiance was to pop free when least expected to lay on the table laughing as I massaged a bruise on my chin from my hand grasping the pliers.  Oh well it's the price for no longer fishing a reel that sounds like the garbage disposal.

steelfish

Quote from: JRD on March 29, 2017, 03:46:25 PM
Oh well it's the price for no longer fishing a reel that sounds like the garbage disposal.

good work amigo, yep thats the price
The Baja Guy