Is this bearing ok?

Started by Smols, April 01, 2017, 04:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

While taking apart a Dam Quick Microlite reel for cleaning, I had a bit of trouble removing the worm gear and bearing. I did finally get the bearing unstuck, but I think I may have broke it in the process. I am certainly no bearing expert but I have never seen one like this. The inner race easily rotates within the outer race. It does rotate back to position and once there, seems to work fine, but since I have not seen a bearing do this before, I am skeptical about it holding up.

Here are the pictures of the bearing rotated within the outer race and one in the normal position.

[img]

What do you think?

Bill B

We are going to to wait for Ed or Fred to chime in on this bearing....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Should be fine, Paul --

On the Quick Microlite 265 -- the bearing is nested solidly in place by the trip plate and (3) screws.

The bigger question would be if the bearing did not operate properly since the outer race came loose from the bearing cage.  But I doubt this is the case -- these bearings unless, rusted out -- are nearly bulletproof and oversized -- very well made.  

I have had this happen before -- very rarely though...and it worked just fine after cleaning, lubing, and reinserting within the bearing cup with the worm pinion well attached for solid stability -- really no place for anything to go.  Should last another 50 years.

For removing the bearing from the worm gear -- I made a wooden jig from a 2X6 -- drilled slots and holes in the end that go all of the way through -- insert the worm gear -- then hit it purposely with a rubber or nylon faced hammer.  They always come out square on the first or third blow.

If you think you might need a new bearing -- just let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Smols

Thanks Fred, I think it will be fine after reading your response as it does feel smooth when tested in the correct position. And, as you stated, there is nowhere for it to go once it is in the bearing cup with the cover on. Funny thing, I have two microlites apart now and one rotor loosens off the pinion gear in a clockwise direction and the other in the standard counter clockwise direction. The pinion threads are obviously not the same.

I will let you know if I do end up needing a new bearing. You are the greatest resource for these Quick parts and I appreciate your willingness to help. Speaking of which, did you ever get a chance to see if you have the other parts that I am looking for? We traded PMs a week or so ago about some parts I need to complete some other Quick reels.

As always, thank you!

Paul

foakes

Yes,

I have them, Paul.

On the worm-drive pinion having two opposite directional threads --

If these are both Microlite 265's with the curved stem-stand -- then those threads on the pinion are always counter-clockwise, to my knowledge.  110 Microlites are clockwise.

What may have happened, since the pinion is steel, and the rotor is aircraft grade aluminum with fine threads -- someone in the past may have gotten aggressive, unknowing that the rotor was counter-clockwise threaded.  forced it on, then tightened the rotor hex nut.  No big deal -- it will still work fine.  Just do the same.  Or it could be that during the switch from 265 to 110 -- the factory had some sort of a transition issue?  I do have a Dam Quick Microlite 265, NIB -- that reads 110 Microlite with drawings, paperwork, and lettering all showing a typical old 265 from 1960 -- but the box reads 110.

Up at 4:30 this morning -- did some reading and catch ups -- early breakfast before the sun was up -- getting ready to do chainsaw, splitting, and slash pile burn work today.

Heading to Church tomorrow, then attending a performance with my wife's community choir.  Back home late.

Up Monday to work half a day on timber -- the other half on reels.

This will be the drill for the next few months, at least that is the plan.

Should drop most of my Winter lazy weight -- get back in shape for backpacking, fishing, and feeling good.

Balance and moderation work the best for me.  Eat less, work more -- plenty of water.

Warmed up to 35 already, zero wind, no clouds.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Smols

Fred,

It sounds like you are busy doing things that you enjoy spending time on. We should all be lucky enough to get to that spot in our lives. Somehow, I seem to be busy with a lot of things that I don't particularly enjoy. ???

Both reels are the same Microlite 265 and it does appear that the pinion threads are clockwise on one and counter clockwise on the other.

Also, I noticed I have a bad bail lever (I think part #100-363) on this reel. This is the second one that I have had this issue with - looks to be a weak spot in the design as the bottom leg folds down and will not catch the bail release nub on the bearing cover plate (I don't have the names of the parts down, forgive my ignorance). So if possible, can you add another one of those to my order. Let me know if you need me to send you the complete parts request list again.

Thank you, as always - I do appreciate it!
Paul