International 6

Started by Brother Leon, March 01, 2017, 09:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Leon

I bought one that is in great shape..just a few small scratches.  I cannot find much information on them besides that are pretty rare.  Can't bring myself to fish it knowing it's rarity.  It's missing the rod clamp, so I need to hunt one down.  Penn parts?
Anyone serviced one of these jewels?
Would you fish this reel?
How much is it worth?

coastal_dan

It's all about condition.  I had one for a while that was in very nice condition, it sat on the shelf and looked great.  I think Keith ended up buying it from me.

Stan from the site who is part of Blind Date Charters has one he fishes, it was pretty neat watching my brother crank up some tilefish from 350 ft on the 6.

If you do plan on fishing it I would updated a few things...see if there is a graphite or aluminum rod clamp that fits, the metal one with the studs protruding tear up your hands.  I would also update the handle grip.  As far as the drag goes you may have to reach out to Cals 2 Speed and see if they have any options.  You could go all out and get it 2 speeded  8)

eBay prices vary from $250 on up to $1500, but don't compare asking prices.  Check out the sold listings.

Enjoy it, special little reels for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

reel man

These reels have a cork composite drag material that dries out over time so will need a little oil applied to freshen them up.  Also, the drag is on the right side of the reel, so is a little more work to service them.  They made this reels in 1978 and 1979, and only made 1,000 of them to be used to fish 6# test for IGFA record fish.

I do have one that's been 2 spd'd by Cal, but never have fished it.

Dominick

Brother Leon, any chance that you might post a photo of the reel?  I have never seen one.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bill19803

probably one of the reasons its missing the clamp  is that the clamp studs will not  clear many or  most  heavier reel seats on rods.  even a  20  has  hard time with  studs clearing the seat.

Stan

Here are some pics of the real that Dan mentioned....These were before I sent it to Cal's to be worked on.  I got this reel for a great price and decided to fish it, as it had been etched with somebody's name and wasn't a collectable.

Benni3

If you need it

Dominick

thanks for the photos.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brother Leon

Thanks for the info guys.  Glad someone here has worked on them just in case I run into a bind.  Doubt I'll ever fish it as I have plenty of reels.  Surf fishing is hard on reels salt, sand, etc.  Maybe someday someone will want to buy it from me.  Same with the Abu 7800 c3 Sweden made.

Dominick

Quote from: Brother Leon on March 04, 2017, 02:49:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys.  Glad someone here has worked on them just in case I run into a bind.  Doubt I'll ever fish it as I have plenty of reels.  Surf fishing is hard on reels salt, sand, etc.  Maybe someday someone will want to buy it from me.  Same with the Abu 7800 c3 Sweden made.
I am interested if the price is right.  Dominick

mizmo67

If you want to try the graphite clamp on it.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33C-113.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Rancanfish

With a name etched into it, I would definitely fish it.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

diamonddave

I have two of them I fish one and one is in my collector case. Dave