Tsi321

Started by BMITCH, February 12, 2012, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockfish1

Ok boys - As the Cajuns say, "I'm gonna tole you" the story: 
I'm in the chemistry (plastics) business so I think I know a little more than the average bear about these things.

I've been looking hard at giving TSI 301 a try because I'm not that happy with Hot Sauce in the small reels that I mostly use/maintain.  I looked up an old MSDS somewhere that said TSI 301 contains "methyl chloroform", which is another name for 1,1,1 trichloroethane......old fashion (now banned) dry cleaning solvent.  Fantastic fast evaporating degreaser, I used to use it for all my gun part degreasing - but you do not want to be in direct contact long term or inhale it a lot - things like liver damage are cited if you look up the potential health effects.

The reason you can store TSI 301 in some plastic bottles and not others is simple - some are made of polyethylene and impervious (just like the baggie cited earlier) to just about any solvent.  High density polyethylene is what almost all natural gas pipes are made of today.

I personally LOVE 1,1,1 "trike" as a degreaser as I said above and am even more interested in TSI 301 now that I know it's the solvent! Just bought me a box of nitrile gloves! The amount you're likely to inhale messing with reel bearings and such is miniscule and can be countered by working in a well ventilated area.

alantani

i thought TCE was taken out of circulation.  it's toxicity is zero in your average applications.  it can cause cardiac arrhythmias when teenagers huff it to get high.  it was used in liquid paper for years with no problems.  i just didn't know that anyone used the stuff anymore.  funny, though.  the old liquid paper bottles were plastic, weren't they?  for sure the caps were. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Now that I have the 321 I dont hardly use the 301 any more...
But it (301) sure cleans stuff up good.......
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Years ago I was a truck driver.  We had a uniform service that sometimes did not deliver clean uniforms on time.  In those days the trucks were equipped with carbon tetrachloride (trichloroethane) fire extinguishers.  We would hang the dirty uniforms on the locker door and spray them with the carbon tetrachloride.  When they dried they would be clean but the fumes stayed with you all day.  It's a wonder I'm still alive exposing myself to all those chemicals.  I remember using degreasers to clean printer's ink off of electric motors from the old Brooklyn Eagle newspaper.  We used to clean wheel bearings with  leaded gasoline.  Who knows how many years I've taken off my life or what is lying dormant in my body.  Now I put good things in my body some beer, a little zin and some Wild Turkey once in a while.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Pescachaser on June 14, 2012, 03:11:42 AM
.  Now I put good things in my body some beer, a little zin and some Wild Turkey once in a while.   ;D Dominick

Hi Dom, I was in Arizona 12years ago and picked up a bottle of Austin Nichols Wild Turkey No 8 Bourbom. Is it still safe to drink?

redsetta

QuoteIs it still safe to drink?
Nah mate, that's no good now.
Better send it to me for disposal... ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Pro Reel

Hey guys. I have tried the TSI 301 in ceramic hybrid bearings and I got mixed results. With some, it seemed to be fine and with others it seemed to make them slower than using a thick oil would have. After talking to boca about it, we came to the conclusion that it just might be gumming up the ceramic balls by not being able to bond to the ceramic. We are not at all sure about that, just a guess. I have switched back to using a very thin oil on the ceramic hybrids. With the ceramic hybrids, you just need a tiny amount to cover the steel parts. If I have the shields or seals off, what I do is spin the bearing on a pointed stick and then give it a quick spray with rem oil in a spray can while it's spinning. Basically I just pass it through quick enoung to get an even thin coat on it. Rem oil is extremly thin so it doesn't slow them down much at all over running dry.

redsetta

Great info - thanks Kevin.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

LLCC

Quote from: Pro Reel on June 15, 2012, 02:58:50 AM
Hey guys. I have tried the TSI 301 in ceramic hybrid bearings and I got mixed results. With some, it seemed to be fine and with others it seemed to make them slower than using a thick oil would have. After talking to boca about it, we came to the conclusion that it just might be gumming up the ceramic balls by not being able to bond to the ceramic. We are not at all sure about that, just a guess. I have switched back to using a very thin oil on the ceramic hybrids. With the ceramic hybrids, you just need a tiny amount to cover the steel parts. If I have the shields or seals off, what I do is spin the bearing on a pointed stick and then give it a quick spray with rem oil in a spray can while it's spinning. Basically I just pass it through quick enoung to get an even thin coat on it. Rem oil is extremly thin so it doesn't slow them down much at all over running dry.

Same observation here! TSI301 seem to slow a Boca Orange Seal hybrid bearing down. Now I use a drop of Rem oil on degreased and dried spool bearings, spin it good to get all parts coated, then a blast of compressed air to dispel the excess.

LL
Lawrence Lee

Nessie Hunter

The TSI is a self leveling oil..   
It will continue to spread until it has coated & Bonded with everything metal, and then excess will run off...

I find my TSI bearings run much faster after a day of sitting in the reel..
The Next day a spin of the spool is much faster...

Ceramics will always run faster DRY..   
But the Metal Races have to be protected in a Reel..
So far I have had the best results with TSI 301 & 321 in Spool Bearings..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

RWS

Quote from: LLCC on June 15, 2012, 07:19:23 AM
Quote from: Pro Reel on June 15, 2012, 02:58:50 AM

Same observation here! TSI301 seem to slow a Boca Orange Seal hybrid bearing down. Now I use a drop of Rem oil on degreased and dried spool bearings, spin it good to get all parts coated, then a blast of compressed air to dispel the excess.

LL

Yes Rem oil is lighter then TSI301, but Rem oil will only last a day or two of hard casting, where as TSI301 will last for months !!!!!! in a bearing.

ez2cdave

Tight Lines !