Penn Fathom 25 LWLH

Started by Fish67, April 25, 2017, 06:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Hi everyone - am new to the forum and have been lurking for a few months now. Fishing since I was a kid with my dad and uncles, but recently got back to it again. I also found myself servicing/rebuilding my old reels, and purchasing a Penn Squidder. Also, wanting more vintage reels for use. Currently, replacing the drag washers and replacing the brass crank shaft with a SS on the squidder, all purchased from smooth drag. I am a DIY type of guy, and I like to learn. Please forgive my ignorance. :)

I am going on my first 2.5 day trip for tuna in June, and preparing one of my reel, which is a Penn Fathom 25LWLH. As I was taking out the side plate (crank side) and carefully laid out all the washers.  I found an extra washer and can't recall where it came from. My guess it was stuck on the spacer sleeve (This reel was covered with a lot of grease!) My question is do you guys think I need it? the reel seems fine without it. Also, it fits perfectly inside the top drag washer underneath metal drag washer (7H). It sits perfectly inside and in level with the drag washer.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Extra washer on the right:

Top of the drag:

handi2

The extra washer on the right would most likely fit right on top of the roller clutch inner sleeve. They are used to raise the total height of all the other spring washers. This makes sure when you tighten the drag to full you dont run out of room and/or rub the reel body.

I use them in all star drag reels like yours to raise the height so there isn't a big gap between the handle and drag star.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fish67

Thanks Handi2. Really appreciate the help. To confirm, this washer is between 8 (spring washer) and 9 (spacing sleeve)?

Fish67

Handi2 - nevermind. I just read your post slowly this time and it finally clicked in my head.  :D Thanks again for your help.

handi2

I'm sure you are now familiar with the anti reverse bearing pressed into the handle side plate. It has an inner sleeve. When the reel is assembled you can see the inner sleeve sticking just a bit higher than the anti reverse bearing. Now imagine if you tightened the drag until the bellville or spring washers hits the top of the anti reverse bearing that's all the drag you will get.

By adding washers that are the same size in dimensions as the inner sleeve it raises the spring washers higher away from the top of the anti reverse bearing so the inner sleeve can be pushed further down and creat more drag.

In Shimano star drag reels it's called the bearing thrust washer because they use a bearing on top of the inner sleeve.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fish67

Awesome! Thank you kind sir. I just finished servicing my Fathom.