Prices of vintage Dam Quick reels going up !

Started by SilverRidge, April 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

Quote from: mo65 on January 01, 2019, 03:21:43 PM
Quote from: TJAndrews on January 01, 2019, 01:12:52 PM
I did my research, found the part number, and started searching. No luck. Some listed the part, but were out of stock. Mike's listed the part for $.99, but shipping was nearly $10!

TJ, set up a search on eBay, you can probably buy a whole 733 for the price of that part plus shipping. 8)

We thought the same way, but on the day we looked everything was higher than that. But as long as the reel has to be replaced rather than repaired, he's looking at other, newer, models - but still Zebco. He's thinking maybe a new 888, but hasn't decided yet.

Ruffy

Quote from: foakes on December 31, 2018, 07:59:13 PM
One peave that bugs me — folks on eBay who have little or no interest or investment in tackle — selling Penn, DQ, Mitchell, and ABU parts for ripoff prices.  Examples are springs for $5, or screws for a buck each, or gears and bearing sets for $20-$30. 

Fred,
You should try living half way around the world! I needed an eccentric spring for an otherwise mint Sealine SMF170H. $5. Alright, I decide to play the game. $20 shipping. The seller wouldn't put it in a plain envelope, would only send registered and therefore wouldn't drop the shipping price. I stole the wrong spring out of a 400H, it's currently doing the job!

Cheers,
Andrew

basto

I know how you feel Andrew. Was interested in a vintage Penn reel recently on the big site. The reel was $37.00 US and the shipping was $57.00 US.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Midway Tommy

Shipping has gotten so ridiculous it has taken the fun out of buying things on da Bay. Besides having lousy inventory and over priced BINs eBay has just about worked itself out of the used reel & tackle market. Their stupid policy of allowing free listings has resulted in sellers sticking ridiculous prices on non-auction items. If those seller had to pay for their listings sold or not they would get a lot more realistic in their starting prices and shipping charges.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Yup. They got me lookin for: "Buy it Now", plus "Make Offer"( which usually starts at 1/2 the asking price), plus "Free Shipping", to "All 50 States" ...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JeffG

Was watching this one. I know it's new in box, but dang!

Midway Tommy

Someone has way more money than sense, that's for sure!   ::)

I liked the old days on eBay when buyers weren't obscured. Back then a guy could contact one of those crazy bidders and offer them the same setup for just under their high bid and come out smelling like a rose.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 06, 2019, 02:25:20 AM
Shipping has gotten so ridiculous it has taken the fun out of buying things on da Bay.
Yes, it's ridiculous.  I saw where nine D-A-M Quicks sold for parts reels cost $13.65 for expedited shipping. Those nine reels probably weigh at least six or seven pounds. Good deal.  On the other hand, a seller was asking $15 to ship a single Shakespeare 2052, which only weighs 8 or 9 ounces. 

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on January 07, 2019, 04:53:34 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 06, 2019, 02:25:20 AM
Shipping has gotten so ridiculous it has taken the fun out of buying things on da Bay.
Yes, it's ridiculous.  I saw where nine D-A-M Quicks sold for parts reels cost $13.65 for expedited shipping. Those nine reels probably weigh at least six or seven pounds. Good deal.  On the other hand, a seller was asking $15 to ship a single Shakespeare 2052, which only weighs 8 or 9 ounces. 

Get mentally prepared.  ??? Postage is going up again January 27.  ::)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Occasionally there are bargains in shipping — mostly though, actual shipping costs, or a small markup is involved.  Sometimes, folks try to make their profit off of the shipping.

As for the postage costs, it is not a big deal for me.  I just figure it is the cost of getting what I want.  No one needs to buy a certain reel — they can always wait for another.

We should be grateful that postage, UPS, FedEx, and the internet is available to us.

It is still 1000 times more effective than trying to find items without using online & shipping.

If admitted — and truth be told, 90% of us have been able to build our inventory and continue our hobby because of reliable shipping, and the internet (including eBay!).  Yard sales, word of mouth, and snail mail only reach a small percentage of the folks that want to sell what we want to buy.

We should not complain too much, IMO.  Without shipping and the internet — we would not even be talking about this issue.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Right on Fred.  If I want a part that costs $1.00 and shipping is $5.00 I understand that the part costs $6.00, period.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wfjord

Sometimes I'll bite the bullet and go for it if the price and/or shipping is just somewhat high, but not if it looks like extortion.

And then sometimes, like a few days ago, I get really lucky and find one of my most absolute favorite vintage light-weight spinning reel models in nice condition within minutes after it was posted to the auction site by a 100% rated seller at an irresistible Buy-It-Now price with free shipping... and it arrives today instead of four days from now as projected!!! :P

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 07, 2019, 07:17:18 PM
It is still 1000 times more effective than trying to find items without using online & shipping.

We should not complain too much, IMO.  Without shipping and the internet — we would not even be talking about this issue.

Best,

Fred
Right.  Trying to find old school reels in my neck of the woods is a wild goose chase. I've been to yard sales, fishing expos, more yard sales, pawn shops, scanned the bargain mart ads, even more yard sales and wasted a bunch of time and gasoline. Much more convenient and economical to order online.

Midway Tommy

I also agree. The interwebby makes everything easier, and many times cheaper. Especially new items. Finding good deals is no more than a fingertip away and one doesn't have to pay for gas while shopping. While I can view thousands of reels online, usually my best/cheapest buys are at local venues like flea markets, second hand shops, garage sales, etc. Specific hard to find items are much more easily purchased online, though. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Chuck750ss

Same here. Got lucky a couple of months ago when I was at my daughters down in Florida. A "older" guy (older than me!) who worked on reels was selling a bunch of his stuff. He obviously knew what his reels were worth, but he cut me a good deal on a "bundle" deal.
If you are diligent and patient you can still occasionally find the good deal on eBay.
Around here yard sales usually mean Zebco. And I don't mean Zebco Cardinals!

[/quote]Right.  Trying to find old school reels in my neck of the woods is a wild goose chase. I've been to yard sales, fishing expos, more yard sales, pawn shops, scanned the bargain mart ads, even more yard sales and wasted a bunch of time and gasoline. Much more convenient and economical to order online.
[/quote]