line spooling to one side more than other

Started by DavidH, May 07, 2017, 01:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidH

I have several Curado 200's and no matter where I tie the line on initially, I always end up with more line on the right side of the spool than the other.  Any Idea if there is a shim or something I can use to level it out?

oc1

First check to see if the spool is centered.  You can tell by eye if it is centered in the frame by looking at the amount of exposed spool flange protruding from the edge of the frame.  If the spool is not centered, you need to play around with the shims and spacers.  Newer models have a carbon fiber disk and perhaps a rubber disk behind the bearing on the tail plate.  They are about 1/4 inch diameter.  If its a little older there may be thin metal square shims.  On the head plate there will be similar shims or spacers at the bottom of the cast control knob.   You need to add shims/spacers on the left side and remove shims or spacers on the right side.  The carbon fiber spacers do not become dimpled as deeply as the metal shims.  Just turning a dimpled spacer/shim upside down may shift the spool over a tad.

If the spool is already centered then the level wind worm gear needs to be shifted to the left.  There is a plastic spacer between the idler gear and worm gear under the right side plate (head plate side).  You may need use a thicker spacer or add a thin washer.

It's unlikely, but possible to make the line pile up on the right side of the spool if the line is always rubbing on the right side of the level wind guide eye when the line is loaded and when the reel is fished.

Finally, check to make sure the line guide on the level wind is not worn and does not rock back and forth laterally. If it will lean left and right you may need to replace the line guide.

Where you tie the line to the spool initially should not matter.  Having the line lay somewhat uneven is common and not a problem unless it is excessive.  Mine will pile up a little higher on the right side of the spool if the bend in the rod is always to the right when retrieving line.
-steve

exp2000

What you need to do is alter the position of the spool RELATIVE to the worm drive.

Assuming that the reel has been assembled correctly to factory standard, you should not need to touch the worm drive. What you are trying to achieve can be accomplished much more simply by altering the position of the spool.

Altering anything in the cast control cap will do nothing to alter the position of the spool as this is determined solely by the LH side-plate shaft stop. Line is piling up on the right so you need to shift the spool slightly in that direction.

The first thing you should check is BNT664, the stop spacer beneath the LH side-plate bearing. You want to make sure that this part is factory standard as it's thickness will determine the correct relative spool position. So poach a new one from somewhere and replace it to see if this makes any difference. It should measure 1.0mm thick within reason. Any thinner and this is your problem.

All things being equal this should resolve the problem, but if by some oddity it doesn't, you will need to add a spacer washer of the same diameter underneath BNT664 in order to shift the spool to the right. You will need to experiment to arrive at the correct stack height. If line still piles up, add more washers or a thicker one till the problem is corrected. Commence with a washer or shim 0.2 - 0.3 mm thick to start and proceed from there.

Just out of interest what models are your Curados?
~

DavidH

I have B5, E5 & E7 Curados.  I appreciate the feedback.  I'll get into the reels in the next few weeks and check out the suggestions.