Hardy Altex no.1 mk IV refurbish!

Started by Woodbilly, Today at 01:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter, Woodbilly and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Woodbilly

Hey all!

Just thought I'd drop a post with the progress on my 1936 Edward Broadfoot Hardy Altex no.1 mk.IV mechanical bail spin reel.
She was rough when I got her. No original finish left and old repair of handle and knob replacement.
I have a new handle and knob en route, so that's no issue, even though repair looks solid and knob, period correct.
I had to fabricate collet removal tool and a tiny punch for brass check carrier pin removal.
For others: I purchased a split ring plier set from auto store and used the small straight jaw attachment. Filed the tips to fit the collet removal holes and used small vice grips to hold the jaws tight and at correct distance. Worked like a charm!
I am going to paint body and flier dust cover and leave flier polished aluminum.
Lots of parts to this old girl, but I'm always up for a challenge.
Now, on to the next step. Paint and reassembly.
Cheers!!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Woodbilly

Thank you!
Very confident, now, I can tear into my no.2 Altex without issue.
Lots of parts, but really not too bad.
I thought my Swiss made 1954 2 speed Benora Standard was far more tricky,but I didn't have to make any specialtools for it and it came out sweet. Lol

Brewcrafter

Nice!  Nailing some crappie!  Be sure to keep us all posted on the #1 Altex looking forward to seeing the finished reel! - john

Reeltyme

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful information not to mention a great restoration!

Woodbilly

Yes.

I'll keep everyone posted, as it progresses.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare