Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"

Started by oldmanjoe, May 09, 2017, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I've asked Joe to consider changing the title of this thread to be more descriptive so that others may find it more easily on searches in the future, something like "Aftermarket Penn anti-backlash gizmos" or something like that.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 11, 2017, 10:28:44 AM
I just remembered I got one of those device, this one was sent to me about 4 years ago by my good friend  Tom ( Irish Jigger )

He also sent one to Lee through me.

Thanks again Tom.

Sal

Published on Feb 24, 2017
Penn 140 Squidder with Don's Antilash anti-backlash device - USA, 1960s Beachcasting Multiplier Fishing Reel.
Penn Squidder 140 was extremely advanced when it was first introduced in 1941 and continued to hold up to developments right through the 1970s after which it was updated with new materials and was still made until fairly recently. The example in this video is late 1960s and features plastic spool with fin airbrakes, ball bearings for long casts, optional anti-reverse and quick tool-free take apart. The intriguing device attached to it is a Don's Antilash, an add-on once marketed by Dons of Edmonton (London) which reduces backlash or overruns/birdsnests in casting multiplier reels.The line is fed through the front rectangle and tension on the line during casting pulls it forward and releases a leather spool brake at the rear which re-engages as the line tension drops toward the end of the cast. Don's Antilash was available for many multipliers of the era and, despite its Heath Robinson looks, actually works very well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Fishing-/14...

While searching for more info on who made  the antiback lash for the penn ,I found this Youtube    hit the show more info button!!!                 
            www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Qxwe8bbN8

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Oh wow, very cool Joe, thanks for finding that video. Almost 60 years old...not bad.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

A little update    I have been looking for / at US patents with no luck as of now . Sent pictures to my brothers , they are going to talk with all the old timers in howard beach , Far rockaway, Sheepshead bay ,Brooklyn NY boy`s .     I have also been digging through toy boxes for parts to make templates if all else fails.   MY FATHER  is going to have a pace maker installed on monday, so i will be down at his house for a couple of days .  I will bring my lap top with me to show him what it is intale  to find  his missing parts.    It will also give me a chance to look in his toy boxes for parts.
Picture of possible template parts so far.    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D         Hack fabrication    the prototype works .....    Spring from the weed wacker ,ratchet from the spinning reel copper washer and bail assembly.
   a still pic and some video drop test and about 30 foot cast .   Caution you may get dizzy , holding a phone and casting is not quality filming.  joe    having a error message with the video will figure it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA5CW93ango&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Sz6bcFeZo&feature=youtu.be

foakes

Good experimenting, Joe --

I went ahead and pulled another old dark maroon identical 145 out of the bins --

Cleaned and lubed the bearings on both reels --

Both have metal spools -- not airbrake bakelites.

Spooled both with fresh 15lb Berkley Trilene Big Game.

Both are the nice (IMO) 145 mid size -- not as wide as the 140 -- not as narrow as the 146 Jr.

Good size and balance.

Found a Fenwick 7' boat rod -- and a 9' surf casting rod to mount each reel on

I will try each on both rods -- see how the backlash is controlled, or not

Then we will have a little more information

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 13, 2017, 11:46:33 PM
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D         Hack fabrication    the prototype works .....    Spring from the weed wacker ,ratchet from the spinning reel copper washer and bail assembly.
   a still pic and some video drop test and about 30 foot cast .   Caution you may get dizzy , holding a phone and casting is not quality filming.  joe    having a error message with the video will figure it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA5CW93ango&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Sz6bcFeZo&feature=youtu.be

Nice.  Looks like it works; zero backlash.  Try some distance on a 10-12 ft surf rod?

oldmanjoe

Just came back from my fathers house ......    When i show him the reel .... ???    That`s what was missing ?   
  I explained how it worked and showed him the drop test , his comment was i think you have the side plate spool adjustment to tight
    Showed him the little side to side play . We walk down to the canal  for some test cast . When i tolled him watch the reel , that after i start the cast i will not have my thumb neer the spool.

I`m thinking   don`t fail me now ......  Out of his mouth come`s    GO ahead you alway`s had a lot of patience with taking apart bird`s nests.
  Made about a 80-90 yard cast , the spool stops on a dime with 9 cents change .     Not a loose wrap....      Serval more cast with the same results.

Tryed a little longer rod 6-6 to a 8 footer the cast were a little futher about 120 -130 yards ,  3 ounces lead and old 30 pound test line.

Now to start looking for some propper parts to make this reel look like as it should be ....
  One thing that i am going to do is make the lever arm a little longer , giving me arc and travel . I think this will help with a little longer cast ,also change the steep angle from bail to spool.       joe

foakes

Good job, Joe --

Looks like you just about got it all dialed in -- just need to clean up the design.

Would your Dad know who he got the reel from?

Then would that guy know where he got it?

Might help us back-trace to original -- or at least a shop or general location.

How is your Dad doing after surgery?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Dad is doing fine ..   I asked him again about the reel`s origin , he still is not sure who gave it to him.
  My hopes of parts in a pickle jar are fadding..    I will spend more time serching for the maker ..   joe

oldmanjoe

;D ;D  I belive i found the designer......John Pasanen  .  /www.google.com/patents/US2607547        When you click on the picture, also click on top were it says 'ORinginal Image  that will give youa exploded veiw that you can mouse around !!!     joe

Decker

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 17, 2017, 04:25:53 PM
;D ;D  I belive i found the designer......John Pasanen  .  /www.google.com/patents/US2607547        When you click on the picture, also click on top were it says 'ORinginal Image  that will give you a exploded veiw that you can mouse around !!!     joe

Wow! Google Patents... who'da thunk it?  Nice Internet fishing catch!  /Joe

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Decker on May 17, 2017, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 17, 2017, 04:25:53 PM
;D ;D  I belive i found the designer......John Pasanen  .  /www.google.com/patents/US2607547        When you click on the picture, also click on top were it says 'ORinginal Image  that will give you a exploded veiw that you can mouse around !!!     joe

Wow! Google Patents... who'da thunk it?  Nice Internet fishing catch!  /Joe

I feel like a dog with a bone ..... I can `t let go ....     hook ,line and sinker..... joe

oc1

Well, I'll be darned.  Great job Joe.  The line runs through the wire, not over it.
-steve