Need Help---Possibly the Penn (Loch Ness Monster) 20/0

Started by Penn Chronology, May 14, 2017, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Benni3

Deepfins

First, I'd like to introduce myself to this forum.  My name is John Bechtold and this is my first post.  I am the fortunate owner of this Loch Ness 20/0 reel.  I want to thank everyone for your comments.  It has been a fun mystery to be part of.  Although the exact provenance will probably never be known, it is fun to speculate the reel's history.  Many of the anglers who saw it hanging from the ceiling of the tackle shop thought it looked an awful lot like a Penn.  It wasn't until we opened it up and noted Penn parts inside that we felt it could have actually been manufactured by Penn, possibly as a prototype.  And thanks to John Elder for helping me with the break down and cleaning, and Mike Cass for starting this thread.  I also owe a big debt of gratitude to the tackle shop owner for selling me the reel.  Hopefully, new information regarding the reel and the rod will filter in.

Cheers,
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Maxed Out

Welcome aboard John, very cool piece you own no matter the history.....it oooozes cool out of every square inch !!!

It seems appearant that there are penn parts involved, but as we all know there are many manufacturers today that rely penn parts for internals, and they aren't considered a "Penn" reel.

What I noticed right away about this reel is the cover over the exposed drags. I noticed the cutout for the bearing cup and the cutout for the exposed drags overlapped. This would possibly be a huge weak link, thus the star shaped screwed on cover over that area.

Here's is my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt.......IMHO Penn already had the best product (senators) and had the lions share of the market at that time and already had a bullet proof design still in use today, so no need for fancy new designs.  I don't see this as a prototype, but as a very cool reel built by a talented craftsman who had access to a reel manufacturing plant. Possibly Penn plant, but there were literally hundreds of manufacturers back then so who knows ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Deepfins on May 15, 2017, 09:40:18 PM
First, I'd like to introduce myself to this forum.  My name is John Bechtold and this is my first post.  I am the fortunate owner of this Loch Ness 20/0 reel.  I want to thank everyone for your comments.  It has been a fun mystery to be part of.  Although the exact provenance will probably never be known, it is fun to speculate the reel's history.  Many of the anglers who saw it hanging from the ceiling of the tackle shop thought it looked an awful lot like a Penn.  It wasn't until we opened it up and noted Penn parts inside that we felt it could have actually been manufactured by Penn, possibly as a prototype.  And thanks to John Elder for helping me with the break down and cleaning, and Mike Cass for starting this thread.  I also owe a big debt of gratitude to the tackle shop owner for selling me the reel.  Hopefully, new information regarding the reel and the rod will filter in.

Cheers,
John
Welcome John, nice to have yo9u aboard....How much?... ;D

Interesting, the reel is larger than the 16/0 and the gears  and bridge appear to be the same as the 116.
John, do you happen to have the dimensions on those washers?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Dominick

welcome John.  It is interesting to join the mystery.  If the mystery is keeping you up nights I'll take it off your hands for $20.00.   :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

Quote from: Dominick on May 15, 2017, 11:38:35 PM
welcome John.  It is interesting to join the mystery.  If the mystery is keeping you up nights I'll take it off your hands for $20.00.   :D ;D  Dominick

Robber!
I'll give you $21!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Deepfins

Thanks, all!  Attached are a couple more pic's.  One shows the diameter of the drag discs (1 and 49/64th's), and the other shows the clicker mechanism on the inside of the backplate.   The drag discs are 5/32nd's thick

I just spoke with the tackle shop owner I purchased the reel from, and kindly got his permission to mention his name and shop.  It is none other than Tom Greene of Custom Rod and Reel, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

JB
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

RowdyW

Isn't that Lighthouse Point, FL.? I'm only about a 1/2 mile from there.      Rudy

Deepfins

Bill B

Welcome John....Hey these guys are trying to rob you of that treasure...I'll give you $21.50 and shipping at your cost... ;D ;D ;D    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Penn Chronology

Spoke with Tom Greene today. He added to the story. He said the reel hung from the ceiling of a Tackle Shop in Pennsylvania from pre-war era before he got it. So this reel dates to the 1930's. He also said the side plates are hard rubber, not Bakelite.

Mr. Greene feels the rod is a non-Tycoon rod, so I make the rod out to be a Montague.

QuoteI don't know if this can be of any help dating, but note that "if" this had been a Penn Senator it would have been of the first-generation configuration with the gear box at the 5 o'clock position. That would date it late 30's early 40's. Since it isn't a Penn Senator I don't know if this is of any significance or not. I wonder if this was a prototype made at the Penn plant during the war when the plant was converted over to wartime production, and thus materials were scarce and new parts were not made...? Makes for a nice story, true or not Smiley

Sid

I tend to agree with Ted. I believe this reel was made using Penn parts of the era; but, it is not a Penn prototype. And as mentioned by Sid, it is in a Penn First Generation Penn configuration, so it is a Penn Senator first gen copy on Steroids. Those trim rings are really special. Have not got an answer for 9 inch trim rings yet.

QuoteFirst, I'd like to introduce myself to this forum.  My name is John Bechtold and this is my first post.  I am the fortunate owner of this Loch Ness 20/0 reel.  I want to thank everyone for your comments.  It has been a fun mystery to be part of.  Although the exact provenance will probably never be known, it is fun to speculate the reel's history.  Many of the anglers who saw it hanging from the ceiling of the tackle shop thought it looked an awful lot like a Penn.  It wasn't until we opened it up and noted Penn parts inside that we felt it could have actually been manufactured by Penn, possibly as a prototype.  And thanks to John Elder for helping me with the break down and cleaning, and Mike Cass for starting this thread.  I also owe a big debt of gratitude to the tackle shop owner for selling me the reel.  Hopefully, new information regarding the reel and the rod will filter in.

Cheers,
John

Glad you joined in John, you have joined a group of true fishing purists. The Best of the Best reside here. And this site must rank No. 1 as the friendliest place on the web. Welcome!!

Alto Mare

Looks like the gears and washers are just as unique.
Compared to the 116, those are larger, but still smaller than the 16/0, I don't believe there is any part that could be swapped from the later models on this reel.
What  surprised me the most, the metal gear cover and the star. If you look close at the top end of the main gear, tolerance is very tight there.
You would have a hard time trying to get those gears out of alignement, the star design would also help it when buttoned down.

Let's did in guys, it would also be nice to find out who used it...if any.

What a treasure....

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.