Penn 113hn Baja special frame question.

Started by Jenx, May 23, 2017, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

Does anyone know if the Tiburon narrow frames for the 113h also fit the Baja Special, or is the Baja special made to only work with its stock one piece frame?

I recently bought a Baja special and while I was trying to take it apart to clean it one of the screws broke off in the frame. Fun! And while trying (unsuccessfully) to remove the screw I noticed that the corners of the notches in the frame, for the harness lug, were broken. This leaves a small gap around the left side harness lug that allows water to get in, which most likely explains why the screw in that spot was frozen. I honestly don't see any way to salvage this frame, as it is no longer water tight, which is disappointing since I was really excited to get this reel. In my initial buying excitement I even bought the bridge assembly upgrade from Cortez Conversions before I discovered the frame problems. So I guess when that arrives in the mail I'm going to have the nicest paper weight in town.

I find myself with two options: Either I can try and sell the remaining parts off individually in the hopes of salvaging as much of my failed investment as I can, or look for a replacement frame. I am unimpressed with the quality of the Baja frames, obviously, as it just feels light and cheap compared to tib and accurate frames. So to ask again, will the tib frame work with this reel?

Thanks.

RowdyW

Jenx, the 113h & 113hn baja are two different reels. No aftermarket frames are made for this reel. Your best bet is to replace the frame with a new one from Penn. You just got one that was rode hard & put away wet. If it had been serviced regularly there would not be a problem. The Baja is a great reel.                 Rudy

alantani

you might get lucky if you try to retap the hole.  it should be a 5-40.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Army_of_One

I bet it got dropped and landed on that lug. Not that it helps now, but that's why it's important to grease the screws when you put on the side plate.  :'( Have you cleared the screw out yet?
Another day in Paradise!

Tightlines667

Try retapping the hole, and comsider permanently affixing the lug to the frame with an aluminum 2-part epoxy paint.  This could solve your water intrusion problem.  You can always sand and paint it too.  Can't hurt to try anyways.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on May 23, 2017, 10:38:36 PM
Yep! might be all you would need,but if it doesn't hold, try the 6-40 tap and a new 6-40 screw.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 24, 2017, 01:43:02 AM
Yep! might be all you would need,but if it doesn't hold, try the 6-40 tap and a new 6-40 screw.

Sal
Will the screw hole in the lug be big enough for 6-40?
Another day in Paradise!

Keta

Quote from: Army_of_One on May 24, 2017, 01:57:25 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 24, 2017, 01:43:02 AM

Sal
Will the screw hole in the lug be big enough for 6-40?

Drill it out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

After the hours spent re-tapping, ordering or going to get new screws, having mismatched screws on the same frame, dealing with the corrosion and water intrusion issue and still having a messed up frame, would it not be easier just bite the bullet and buy a stock frame and what ever screws you need? Seems like a no brainier to me. But, you may want to play around with it first and then you find out the issue is still here. So then it will be time that you buy the stock stuff to make it right.

To each his own.

Edit: One must remember these reels here designed to fish 40-50 lb test no problem and can handle 60 in a pinch, but not the best 60 lb reel by far. Yes they came to the market way too late but fished with 40-50 lb test you should be fine.  If looking to fish higher drag numbers than say for 50 lb test look at the mods offered on this web site but IMO with 60 lb drag numbers and under their is no need for a stronger frame.

steelfish

I have 2 Baja Special reels and love them, I have a Spare frame, its not New but really good shape, used with minimal scratches and boat rash, those reels are not water proof so, a small water entry there its not that bad If the reel have the alantani way of grease/oil job.
I can let it go for half Price of What it cost new.
If Interested  check my PM with details and send you pictures .
If not, no a problem, its always nice to have a frame and spool spares.
The Baja Guy

Jenx

Bummer.

Well, thank you everyone for the feedback. I agree with SoCalAngler that spending all that time re-tapping a frame that is still most likely going to have water intrusion issues is not really an option for me, plus I have never tried to re-tap a screw before. Unfortunately buying a new frame is not an option for me either, as a new one on Scott's bait and tackle costs more than what I paid for this reel. By that point I'd be getting into the price range where I could have just bought a brand new US 113n instead.

Despite my bad initial experience with this reel I am still interested in owning one. I have read plenty of great reviews on the Baja, and nothing but rave reviews about Tom's bridge assembly, so I will just hold onto the bridge and look around for another Baja. Luckily I only payed a $100 for it, so I can probably recoup a good chunk of my money back by just selling off the spool and selling off the right side-plate with all its internals.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill B

Jenx, Im a little late but I would take Alex's offer on his frame.....That's a good deal in anyone's book.   JMO...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Jenx

Quote from: TARFU on May 29, 2017, 06:30:20 PM
Jenx, Im a little late but I would take Alex's offer on his frame.....That's a good deal in anyone's book.   JMO...Bill

Thanks for the input, Bill. Alex and I have been in contact, and we did make a transaction... just in the other direction. He had an extra spool, frame, and left side plate, so I ended up selling him all the rest of the parts he needed to build himself another Baja Special. Between the parts I sold to Alex and the spool I sold online I have managed to recover almost all of the $100 I spent buying this reel. Now I'm just going to keep my eyes open for another good deal on a Baja as I still have this awesome bridge assembly from Tom that needs a home.

steelfish

Quote from: Jenx on May 29, 2017, 11:36:33 PM
He had an extra spool, frame, and left side plate, so I ended up selling him all the rest of the parts he needed to build himself another Baja Special.

I was waiting for Andy to answer this before me, but yes, we did that transaction but backwards, instead of sending my part, he send me his Baja Special parts without spool, frame and left side plate.
that will give me enough parts to build me another Baja Special, dang !! stocked !!

I will need to get in touch with Tom to get me another bridge assembly and make it bullet proof.
The Baja Guy