Custom Exotic Wood Hobo Reels

Started by PERRO, July 12, 2017, 05:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PERRO

Hey everyone, just sharing photos of my two " Custom Hobo Reels ". ;D

I was on another forum ( Bushcraft USA )  and came across a vendor, making an updated version of a  " Coke Bottle Reel / Hobo Reel " out of turned Wood(s).

Example: Photo taken off internet.

I grew up dirt POOOOR & remember using one as a kid..

After pondering over them for a few weeks. I decided to purchase one made from Cedar, & was very impressed with the overall look & feel.

I added some fishing line & a few Hooks, Weights,Swivels & Leader Material. All of which fit inside of the Hollowed out Handle.

I whittled a " Wine Cork ", into a smaller sized thimble to hold approx 12ft of 8 lbs mono leader.

I also used a few small plastic baggies, to organize my tackle, which were then rolled up to fit inside the Reel handle.

HMMM,.. I got thinking & promptly contacted the Vendor, to request " IF ", he would make two special order reels from an " Exotic Wood " ..?

1. Desert Ironwood

2. Macassar Ebony

He agreed, along with an additional custom " Threaded Brass Fittings ".

FORUM: BUSHCRAFT USA

Vendor: T's Custom Outdoor Gear
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/wts-custom-turned-hobo-reels-handline-updated-7-5-17.197341/

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/artificial-lures-bait-for-hobo-reel.199801/#post-3404779

Tiddlerbasher

thorhammer

philaroman

I've done some urban fishin' where self-defense was a looming possibility...  as a matter of fact, I've done some rural fishin' where self-defense was a reality (the enormous domestic goose was undeterred by a UL trout rod)...  the ironwood could have gotten me roast goose beside the trout almandine, LOL

PERRO

Quote from: philaroman on July 12, 2017, 10:53:59 AM
I've done some urban fishin' where self-defense was a looming possibility...  as a matter of fact, I've done some rural fishin' where self-defense was a reality (the enormous domestic goose was undeterred by a UL trout rod)...  the ironwood could have gotten me roast goose beside the trout almandine, LOL

Hmmmm, I did do a little pondering  .. it does kinda look like an " Old School Short Billy ".  ;D

" But Officer, its a Fishing Reel & I do have a Valid Fishing License..Everywhere I go "  :o

My fishing buddy dropped by for a few Beers & I gave him the  " Cedar Hobo Reel " as a gift.

He was vacationing in " Mammoth Lakes " last week, and was on his way home.

P.S.: A bit of trivia,.. Desert Ironwood is SOOOO Dense ..That it won't float in water  :o

philaroman

spool up w/ 200lb. braid & it's a lead-filled Billy/Garotte combo...  throw in the "inappropriate" handle shape, and...

OFFICER: "Son, you didn't come here to fish, did you?"

PERRO

Quote from: philaroman on July 12, 2017, 08:21:13 PM
spool up w/ 200lb. braid & it's a lead-filled Billy/Garotte combo...  throw in the "inappropriate" handle shape, and...

OFFICER: "Son, you didn't come here to fish, did you?"

Hmmmm,..Both look more like a " Scepter or Mace " in my demented imagination  ;D

I'll post a few more photos, once they arrive.

EDIT:

The Vendor is also Turning Wood  " YoYo Reels ", for those of you that might prefer a different style ..?

CUSTOM TURNED CUBAN YOYO REELS ( Handline)
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/wts-custom-turned-cuban-yoyo-reels-handline.199881/

oldmanjoe

That`s a nice looking yoyo  ....   finger holes ?  4 inch diameter ?
  I make similar  ones    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PERRO

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 13, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
   That`s a nice looking yoyo  ....   finger holes ?  4 inch diameter ?
  I make similar  ones    joe

Very nice !!

PERRO

I just received my two Custom Hobo reels in todays mail.

The Desert Ironwood reel was loaded with " 15# Mono ".

I added some " Hockey Tape " before loading them with fishing line.

The Ebony with Power Pro 65 lbs Braid, along with approx 30 yards of 30# mono top shot.

Braid to #30 Mono

A couple of soft protective Crown Royal bags.

I'll be trying to get together with my fishing buddy for a test run  ;D

gstours

Very nice wood.  Great pictures,  almost makes me wonder if I really need two speeds on my favorite reel nor a power cord? thanks for showing us your new reels. ;)

PERRO

Quote from: gstours on July 16, 2017, 05:25:45 PM
Very nice wood.  Great pictures,  almost makes me wonder if I really need two speeds on my favorite reel nor a power cord? thanks for showing us your new reels. ;)

I've been itching to try them out .. Unfortunately ,..its been " Triple Digits " Temps, & toooo hot for me to endure !!

I'll most likely try them out on the " CA Aqueduct " , which is the closest body of water near me, & don't need to cast far.
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?83-Aqueduct-Fishing-Reports

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?87907-fishing-in-palmdale