Mitchell 351 for a righty?

Started by Steve V., May 07, 2024, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V. and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steve V.

Hello,

I just acquired a Mitchell 351 with the handle on the left side of the reel. Has anyone seen one of these before? I thought the 351 was for lefties with the handle on the right side of the reel.

Thanks,

Steve

foakes

351 was an early version of the high speed 350 —- which was a 300 with rapid gearing.

Later, they just labeled it a 350.

Has nothing to do with a left or right hand reel orientation.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Thanks. I've just never seen one.

Steve

piscesman2

The Mitchell 351 was not an early version of the 350. Rapid then 350 5/1 then 350 then 350A. The 351 is a lefthanded version of the 350, right hand crank. Mitchell made that plate set up for the 350 but engraved 351. If that plate was put on the 351 the writing would be upside down but fully functional with the proper gears for the 351. Mitchell often made mistakes in engraving reels but would let parts slide through as long as they worked as not to lose money.
      Kim