Gs Power Handle for Diawa400h

Started by gstours, August 16, 2016, 03:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As I posted recently a picture peek of another of my favorite reels (113h w laker pipes, n mag wheels)!,  Laying on a nice Halibut....
... Mr. Steveeo asked for a picture of it and I thought of sharing some with all you that are intestered or just bored!
This one is is on a Diawa Sealine 400 with full mods/improvements inside.    Its no secret that sealine handle upgrades are practically non existant.....I have had  good luck with these reels for my bottomfish adventures,  so they are the ugley duckling in some circles????

This is a hybrid of 2 reel handles and married with a tig torch.

Another power handle is now shown for a Tiagra 30II which I Dearly Love!!!!

Another custom jobber is on a 114h that seems to handle everything quite well with the Tib/O)kuma rubber offset grip.

and of course the famous 113h set up for halibut fishing. 2-3pounds and large baits are generally used if the angler is targeting a more exciting time on the water.....These reel handle blanks origionate from Lee Putnam or Alan Tani.   The last picture is a factory Okuma part that is used on the Salterra or/and the Makaira series reels and are available, have stainless steel arms, and reasonably priced.

Sadly money wont get you everything in life????? ;)???????  Sometimes we need to make our own parts..... ???.... Thats why I like this site! :'(

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rothmar2

Never get tired of seeing your DIY work Gary. Function before fashion too, I always say.

gstours

Thanks for the kind words. ::)  I will post more soon,  like this one,  using what you made to get what you want!!! :-\

and another of the Tib/narrow standing proud. ;D

Steve-O

Hey Gary, good onya and thanks for sharing those handles!

I knew from the halibut pic that the reel handle was no off the shelf job. The offset bends and length looked  more like "reel serious business"  than " let's make this reel handle fit in the smallest square box for shipping and shelf display" .

Bet they crank those down pulling halibut right on up to daylight with ease. I like the offset so you don't end up torquing the rod and reel all over the place during heavy use.

Good stuff - Alaska tuff!

alantani

i really like the tib handle grips.  i think they are made by okuma now, but i'm not sure. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Yes Alan 8) I have been getting these from Okuma USA in Ontairio, Cal.  about 17-20$ .... I can get part numbers for anyone interested......they are off the Salterra,and Makaira 20-30 sizes.....  Stainless steel instead of Brass makes these Very Useful!!!!!!!
   Custom Made you can pick the length and offset desirable. ;D

steelfish

The Baja Guy

gstours

Oh yes, I forgot nto mention that Okumas Cavalla 15-20-30-50 series used these grips on their "forgotten" Cavalla trolling two speeders.
   And I agree with Alan T. that Tiberon may have ''helped Okuma in some of their efforts.
Pictured below is a factory offering. 

The Rubber grip is warm to wet bare hands, compared to metal. Here is a ''good reel cocked n locked'' w the clicker on!

Scenery passing the time,

and the net result of another fun day.

steelfish

Gary

by chance do you have pics of how do you cut the stock okuma handle them measure the stock penn handle to finally weld them together?

because it looks pretty good, like if it was an original handle for penn

I have a big handle arm and knob from a 4/0 avet that I would like to weld to a stock 113h handle, but really lost on how to do it and look like yours
The Baja Guy