Penn 722 Spinfisher

Started by Alto Mare, May 14, 2011, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I have noticed that a lot of guys are purchasing vintage reels and I thought that it was a good idea to work on this model.  Although it's simple, it gets a little tricky for the new guys.  Hope this helps, Sal.

I will start by removing the spool, key #47.

The clicker tongue needs to be replaced, key #48.

I will also replace the teflon drags with carbon washers, key # 56T

I will now remove the housing plate, key # 45, and the handle, key # 15.

I will now remove the crosswind connector, key #44, and pull the spool shaft out, key # 39.

Next, I will remove the crosswind block, key #43.

I will now remove the rotor cup, key # 27.  Notice that I bent an old Penn wrench...I wouldn't want to bend one of my Alan Tani wrenches! Thanks again Alan, great wrench!

I will now remove the pinion gear from the housing, key # 19.  The bearing is held in place by a bearing-retaining spring, key #21.

I used the same procedure as I would when removing the shield from the bearing.  Be careful that the spring doesn't go flying.

I also will remove one shield from the bearing.  I prefer to leave one on.

I will now pull out the main gear, key # 8.

Now I will remove the dog and spring, key #5.

The dogspring was weak.  I did not have a replacement, so I made one.

Take a closer look at the dog position.  This is the part that will drive you crazy if you don't position it correctly.  

This is the correct way to place the dog and spring.

I will now put the main gear back into place.

I am showing the layout of the pinion assembly.

And now I will set it in place.

Do not forget to put the retaining spring back.

I will now put the rotor back.

Put back the crosswind block,

the spool shaft,

and lock it in place with the crosswind connector.  Make sure the holes line up.

I will now put back the plate and the handle.

I will also replace the teflon washer under the spool with a carbon washer.

The reel is now complete and ready to be fished!

I did not show the removal of the bail and spring; it was working perfectly and I did not want to mess with it at this time.  I do have another reel that will need it, so I will probably show this step in the future.  This is one of my favorite reels; it is truly a marvel of engineering for its simplicity. Although to most of you guys it would be a breeze to work on, it could be tough to someone who has never cracked one open.  I hope this helps, if you have any questions just ask!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

sal, that looks great.  thank you very much.  also, i am certain that the guys on the striper board would love to see this one.  you might consider registering and making this your first post on the striper board.  alan

http://www.stripersonline.com/forum/list/212/reel-maintenance-and-repair
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, I'm hoping that you're not showing me the door politely ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Roger

Great post, definitely proves the fact that those early model spinners are a whole lot more simpler in design than the newer spinners.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 15, 2011, 11:45:07 AM
Alan, I'm hoping that you're not showing me the door politely ;D

goodness, no!  it's just that these are still very popular reels among collectors and striper fisherman on the east coast!  check out the board when you get a chance.  alan 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Today I was replacing the bail spring on one of my smaller spinner. I remember mentioning a while back  that I was going to post some pics, if I came around to it, just in case someone could use them. The reel is a 720, similar to the one above.

Removing the rotor cup will be much easier

next, the bail wire

next, the arm release bail and spring

next, the bail spring

Now back together it goes.
Set the new bail spring in

and the bail wire, making sure that the bent part of the spring goes in the little hole, just hand tight the bail screw for now

and now the arm release bail goes back

a nice screwdriver comes handy for setting the bail arm screw

put the roter cup back, make sure the bail snaps nicely and you're finished

Sal.

Cone

Great post Sal. You make it look so easy that even I might could do it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

That's not for you Bob, I already know what you could do ;). This is for the younger generation that never took one of these apart.
It is a simple reel, but could get to you if you haven't done one before.

dobrobill

Sal, another great walk through...   When skirted spools came out I let my old ones go. Looking back now I should not have done that. Young and stupid still follows me today... 

johndtuttle

Picked up one of these little greenie guys a while back for $20. It was mint other than the AR was failing.

Opened it up and the cause of the failure was old grease that had turned to bubble gum leading to the dog being stuck. 30 seconds of scrubbing with a toothbrush and corrosion-x and it was gtg.

Maybe some day I'll find a bamboo rod to stick it on and take it on a LR trip for making bait :D.

best

Ron Jones

Am I correct that the 704 is the biggest of these? I'm looking for a big Penn spinner and I like these with few bearings.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

johndtuttle

Quote from: noyb72 on January 18, 2014, 05:27:00 AM
Am I correct that the 704 is the biggest of these? I'm looking for a big Penn spinner and I like these with few bearings.
Ron

The 706Z (bailess) is the biggest of the bunch in terms of capacity, I believe. Penn re-introduced the 704 and 706 and full specs should be on their website.

best

Flounder Boy 3

This thread is extremely informative to a guy like me.

One who has accumulated a small number of vintage reels, but who has been apprehensive to take them apart for fear of screwing something up.

handyandy

Have been lurking on here for a little while first time poster now, thought I would give thanks for this tutorial. After getting a old 722 greenie for my first vintage reel, this tutorial saved my butt on getting the the AR put back together correctly. Reel is great now replaced the drag with carbon disc. I have since doing the 722 picked up a 714z, and 430ss to tear down clean and relube. Waiting on a new bearing the 430 to get it back together.

exp2000

That's amazing Sal.

Bevel gears and no oscillating carriage to be seen.

I would love to tinker with something like that.

On the hensteeth occasion that something like this does come in, it is in such poor condition as to be unredeemable.

Thanks for posting.
~