recommendation for small baitcaster?

Started by floating doc, June 07, 2017, 09:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Plan to use for light saltwater and freshwater, with 10-12 lb mono or 20 lb braid, and approx 175-225 yards of mono capacity. I'll mount it on a medium action 6 foot rod, rated for 8-16 lb, to replace an Ambassaduer Royal Express I. Lures would be (maybe) as light as 1/4 oz, to maybe 5/8, but mostly 3/8 to 1/2 oz.

Need level-line capability, and although I'd love a clicker, that's out in this size reel.

While I prefer the round profile reels, I bought an Okuma KomodoSS KDS364P today, but it won't be here for a week or so, and my trip is this month. I think it's going to be physically too large for this rod, but if it would work, I'd buy the next size up for the other rod. Right now, I'm planning to mount the Okuma 364 on a 6 1/2 foot rod that's rated for 12-25 lb test. I won't limit myself to low profile reels.

I've had good luck with Penn, Daiwa, and Abu, but Okuma's engineering really looks good. Got burned on a badly engineered Shimano reel, would consider recommendations, but no fan of Shimano.

I'm deliberately avoiding a mention of price, I'd rather let the discussion evolve without restricting it to a price range.
Central Florida

MarkT

I had a Lexa 300 that was great. I have a bunch of 300 sized reels that I like for light saltwater/heavy freshwater duties. Shimano Curado 300 and Abu NaCl 50 are good. I have Curado 200's that work with 12# mono or with 30# spectra. I don't go under 30# spectra and prefer 50. The smaller spectra is hard to tie knots with.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Abu 4500 or old 1000. still use them.

Jerry Foran can make you a 4500/5500 size Ambassadeur with a clicker......

rippin_lips

That komodo may be overkill on a 6' medium action rod.  It would pair better with a 7-8' medium heavy or heavy rod, I would think.

Just about any "average" sized low profile bait cast reel will match up well with that rod, but won't have that much line capacity.  For general inshore saltwater use I have a 7' medium action falcon rod with an okuma baitcast reel (it's there 273 or standard low profile size I think) with probably 100 yds or so of 40 lb braid.  The heavier braid helps prevent it from digging into itself.

thorhammer

Quote from: 0119 on June 08, 2017, 09:24:10 AM
Jerry Foran can make you a 4500/5500 size Ambassadeur with a clicker......

bhale1

Just an FYI...
I had to Google Jerry Foran. I found his website ...www.hookless.com.
He does custom work and upgrades on Abu's
Brett

Bryan Young

Quote from: floating doc on June 07, 2017, 09:54:13 PM10-12 lb mono or 20 lb braid, and approx 175-225 yards of mono capacity.

for 10-12# mono, I would recommend Abu 6500 series.

for 20# braid, I would recommend Abu 5500 series

based on line capacities.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Wow...there are so many great choices...how do I suggest just one? I guess the best performing,
easiest maintained baitcaster I've ever fished is my Pflueger President. It would be mighty hard to top...at any price point!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~