Upgrading a 9/0

Started by Nevets, June 13, 2017, 03:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevets

Hello everyone. First post here. I have never hotrodded a reel before so this is all completely new to me. I am shopping for a Penn senator 9/0 and I am leaning towards finding a USA model used over buying a new foreign made model. Are there any models to avoid for doing upgrades?

I am looking to build a reel for landbased shark fishing. Could everyone give there recommendations for upgrading for this use. Drag, gears etc. I am thinking a cortez half frame for one but the rest I need help with. Brands and exactly what you would recommend would be awesome as there is just so much to choose from and I don't really know what I'm looking at.
Mutha know you for any help everyone

RowdyW

Pick up a later 115L with ball bearings & an aluminum spool. Then you will need a steel main gear, a drag insert assembly from Three Se7ens (Adam), stainless gear sleeve  & ss dog & yoke, a half frame from Cortez Conversions (Tom) and sometime early next year aluminum side plates though not absolutly neccessary. A handle arm from Three Se7ens, and a t-bar knob from numerous suppliers such as fishincomfort on ebay. That should give you a very good start to building a top notch Senator 115 9/0. Search the archives here for how to's on the build. A lot of info available here. If you get stuck on anything there's always a member here to bail you out, just ask. So now start by picking up the model reel you need and start building. It aint gonna be cheap  :o but it will be satisfying. There are even a few members here that will probably cut your original plates for double dogs if you want them to.                  Rudy                

Shark Hunter

Welcome Nevels,
Search through the posts in the Senator section.
This topic comes up quite a bit.
Daron
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on June 13, 2017, 05:12:20 AMThere are even a few members here that will probably cut your original plates for double dogs if you want them to.                  Rudy               
I have done this on my 9/0 and feel comfortable doing it for others should they wish for me to do so.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Army_of_One

Quote from: sdlehr on June 13, 2017, 12:30:38 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on June 13, 2017, 05:12:20 AMThere are even a few members here that will probably cut your original plates for double dogs if you want them to.                  Rudy               
I have done this on my 9/0 and feel comfortable doing it for others should they wish for me to do so.

Sid
The 9/0s are not bad.  The first 4/0 I tried...  :'(
Another day in Paradise!

Rancanfish

Or, buy a Daiwa 900h that comes with a strong factory frame. 

Upgrade with a Cortez stainless gear sleeve and Alan T's drag stack & handle. Cheap and beefy. IMHO
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.