Ocean Star No. 36 (Amateur Deep Clean)

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, June 18, 2017, 12:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on June 22, 2017, 03:34:06 AM
I am honored by the help, everyone.  There aren't words, other than it's incredibly humbling walking into such a warm welcome from near perfect strangers.

I do not reccomend the hot glue as a filler.  Yes, it will work. Caulk is a much much better idea.  I'm going to go get some tomorrow.  I haven't had good luck with wood filler around marine environments and I'm not sealing with a thick layer of epoxy, just alittle polyurethane so I'm afraid that it might swell or pop out.  I did stumble onto something that works well in a pinch, tonight.  I had a roll of nylon masonry cord laying around and it was the exact size of the saw channel.....I applied superglue and will sand it flush tomorrow.  Superglue sands well, I find.

My go-to filler for exterior applications is bondo. Never have used in the salt except I've filled lots of San Francisco exterior trim with bondo, primer and paint. Guess that's pretty salty.

Steve

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

MidwayTommy, you know....I have some cedar siding in my scrap pile.  It's only 3/4" thick but I can just ream out a channel for the wire on the inside of each piece and then glue the two together.  I don't have any way to safely melt the lead, but that is a VERY intelligent way of mounting weights.  I tried drilling from each end of the blank, but I couldn't get them to line up well, resulting in the blow throughs earlier in the post.  I had that large reamer bit in my hand drill to try to connect  the two holes but even that didn't work out well.  I am never going to claim to even be a journeyman craftsman.  

Thank you so much for that advice, sir!  It gave me some awesome ideas for how to make better lures.  I bet that cedar won't gum up my belts and router bits the way the pine has been doing, too.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Steve, I don't have any regular bondo, but I do have some Bondo glazing and spot putty.  Do you think that that would work?
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

swill88

I think you need a 2 part mixture. Epoxy? probably other products will work. Bondo is nice because it's easy to form to a smooth surface and can be sanded after. But, who knows? Try what you have and see if it works.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Swill88, I don't have much epoxy laying around, but I can use gorilla glue mixed with the wood flour that comes off of my belt sanders.

MidwayTommy's advice gave me a 180 degree turnaround.  With the new approach I hope to eliminate the need for much wood filling.  I'm going to take two cedar halves from some old scrap siding, ream out channels inside, and then glue them together.  I know for a fact that you can work on something glued with Gorilla White Glue 45 mins after gluing it, so I am going to try this out first thing tomorrow and post pictures.

Oh, I realized that I didn't explain my method when I first posted this.  If you look up on youtube how to quickly cure gorilla glue using baking soda and vinegar you'll get good recipes for how to get polyurethane glue to cure in less than an hour.  Now, I wouldn't use it for something super high strength, but for lures, I'm going for it.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Here is my new revamped method in the works.  I used my quick curing Gorilla Glue and am going to shape and sand here in alittle while.  They are rough, but I nicknamed this whole project my Q.U.A.D. Lures.  Quick Ugly And Dirty.

RowdyW

How does Daiwa Tutorials & Questions relate to DIY wooden lures?? I think you are in the wrong section. There is a section for lures. Most of this needs to be moved there.  Mods???

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Moderators, I will gladly move this section to the Beginner's board section.  I'm going to copy and post my posts with photos over there.  If there is a better way, please show me!

RowdyW

Flip Flop you are building lures, why not post them in the Lures section. That's the place for lures. store bought or homemade. The begginers section is more for "How can I fix this" not this is how I did it.                Rudy

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Check out the thread, bud.  You'll see why I posted it there.  More lure building will follow in the lure section.

thorhammer

Hey flop start a new thread on the plugs for folks that haven't followed the evolution and spirit of the project. Not the first time a thread morphed nor the last. It's what makes this place awesome, the free flowing exchange, and will focus on the project in a different view as this is way more interesting than a reel tutorial as it began.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

After I do the quick and dirty lure, I'm going to go back to logging my regular lure building in the lure section.  Thanks for all of your help, Thorhammer.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: thorhammer on June 23, 2017, 12:01:08 AM
Hey flop start a new thread on the plugs for folks that haven't followed the evolution and spirit of the project. Not the first time a thread morphed nor the last. It's what makes this place awesome, the free flowing exchange, and will focus on the project in a different view as this is way more interesting than a reel tutorial as it began.
I like this thread , has a little of everything in it .... going to follow it were ever it goes          joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Hey, Oldmanjoe.  The thread has moved over to the beginner's forum.  I'm writing a quick and dirty lure tutorial there.  Who knows what that'll turn into down the line.

Swami805

Love this thread! It's a box of chocolates, The man's on a roll, keep it coming Flip!
Do what you can with that you have where you are