Pflueger Rocket 1355 question

Started by Keta, June 06, 2017, 04:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Does anyone know the years that Pfluger made and sold the Rocket 1355 reel?   I was wireing a barn today and the owner gave me one in good shape on a old glass rod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Lee, this guy says only 1952, 1956 and 1957.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/126740-pflueger-rocket/
I'm surprised it was such a short production run because it's a very nice reel.
-steve

Keta

Thank you.  I cleaned and lubed it last night and it will be used again.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

I have a 1355 and 1375 that I've had for years and need to clean up. I agree very nice reels.

Would anyone have a clue where levelwind parts may be had?

foakes

The old Rockets, IMO, have always been one of the highest quality levelwinds from 65-80 years ago.

Good chrome, heavy made, simple, basically bulletproof.

If it was Shakes -- I may have more NOS parts for their baitcasters than anyone in the world -- about 80 pounds.

For Pflueger have only a couple of parts boxes -- and do have a few Rockets that I am going to make lamps out of -- but do not know if the parts match up, or not.

And won't have any time to break one down for a few days.

For the last 6 weeks -- it has been logging work.  Dropping, limbing, bucking, splitting, clearing and burning slash piles, giving away split firewood -- around 10-12 hours a day.  Today, the conditions are right and we can burn our last two piles from the West meadow and woods, legally and safely.  The burn cut-off may happen as early as tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting back on a balance of reel work, life, and other good things.  Pretty bone tired every night from all of the woods work.

If anyone wants any split firewood -- it is split to 16" -- and will be free.  Tim, Jonathan, Alan, Alan's folks, Alan's brother?  Alan, if your folks could use any -- I would just drop it off at their ranch.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Crap, Fred I don't know if you have more wood or parts  ;D

I'll see if I can dig up a schematic to get part numbers. No hurry....these probably haven't been wet in 20-30 years and  levelwind gone well before that...

I'd love to catch one on the 1375... very similar to 1355, but has large arbored spool, heavier stand, power handle and  knurled eccentric lever. haven't been inside yet.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on June 06, 2017, 10:35:38 AM
Lee, this guy says only 1952, 1956 and 1957.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/126740-pflueger-rocket/
I'm surprised it was such a short production run because it's a very nice reel.
-steve

I'm not so sure about that info Steve...my 1355's box is dated Nov. of 1948. The boxes were dated after inspection.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Mo, that makes more sense than only the three years.

John, here's a brochure describing the differences in rocket models:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15081&p=68593&hilit=rocket+1355#p68593

There are quite a few Rockets around.  Another reason to question the short production run.  If I were serious about using them (which I'm not) I'd pick up several for parts down the road.
-steve