Penn Torque 40 NLD Question

Started by Andy Pulido, January 15, 2024, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Pulido

I service my Torque 40NLD following JohnTuttle tutorial on the Torque 25NLD 25 instructions (The components on the the 25 and 40 appear to be very similar) explicitly...well I must have done something wrong because when the reel is completely assembled the dogs do not always engage when moving from free spool to drag.  I have disassembled the reel several times following the tutorial and schematics.  This problem is driving NUTS!

When assembling the reel and have the right side of the reel intact, I turn the handle freely and see the dogs engage when reversing the handle movement but when the reel is fully assembled the spool spins great in free spool AND the dogs engage.  So when I move the into drag position, I can move the handle forward to take up line but the handle also moves backwards meaning the dogs are not engaged.

Your insight and help would be most appreciated!

Thank you

Keta

Most likely  the dogs and ratchet are reversed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

The spool should turn freely in both directions in free spool. Sounds like something is backwards
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

So the reel goes both ways when the drag lever is engaged?

If so the ears on the silent AR need to be crimped to allow them to engage or there is too much grease on them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

I'm thinking the ratchet is installed backwards. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Andy Pulido

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions!  I disassembled the Torque 40 once again paying attention to the dogs and the ratchet alignment which seemed to be correct according to the pictures I took before I first disassembled it.

I cleaned off the any excessive grease on the dogs and in fact I switched the dogs just for the heck of it.  What I did notice when turning the handle while in gear was that one dog was always engaging and the other was not.  Playing around with the tightness of the dog set screw, the dog mechanism was able to move freely to start engaging with the ratchet. 

What was odd was the other dog set screw was tight and the dog was still able to move freely to engage with the ratchet.

When the reel was fully assembled, free spool was great when not in gear and once the drag lever was pushed towards strike the dogs always engaged!!!!  Yay!  Problem solved!

Thanks Gentlemen for all you help!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Odd, There might be a burr on the frame.  If so remove it, if not thin the tight one a bit with a stone, file or Dremel so it moves when the screw is tight.

Mark Twain