975 international star drag

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carpslinger and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

here's a link to the schematic....

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/975.pdf

and here are the reels.

right off the bat, there were a few "problems" noted.

first remove the handle and the star, including the handle nut cap screw (key #32), the handle nut cap (key #110A), the handle nut (key #23), the handle assembly (key #24), the star drag (key #10), the two disc clutch springs, aka. bellevilles (key #18).  then back out the two sideplate screws (key #38).  the side plate and the spool can now be removed as separate units.

take this time now to remove, grease and reinstall the rod clamp screws (key #34).

lube the left spool bearing and the levelwind assembly.  re-install the spool and set it aside.  

remove the right side plate screws (key #50A).

remove the right side plate and set aside the bearing clutch shaft (key #98S) and the roller bearing (key #98B).  

remove the drag metal and fiber washers and the main gear in order.  

this is what you should have left.  if the inner side plate is dissassembled further than this, refer to this photo for reassembly.  

apply a generous coat of shimano or cal's drag grease to the drag washers and reassemble the drag stack.

replace the anti-reverse roller bearing assembly with new parts if you find extensive damage such as this.  

re-install the side plate, the star and the handle, and you're done.  if you want to take a quick look at your reel, you need only back out the two "take-apart screws" in the right side plate (key #38) and the side plate comes off cleanly for a quick inspection.  grab your camera and let us know what you find!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Taily

I recently purchases a 975CS baitcaster (the same as the one you've pulled apart here but topless and sans the levelwind bits) and wonder what you usually use to lube/protect the anti-reverse/roller bearing with? I gave everything inside the reel (except the anti-reverse) a light coating of Cals but am left guessing about the one way roller bearing. ???

Regards

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

Bryan Young

CorrosionX have been found to be one of the best lubricants for the anti-reverse bearings.  Please note that its the regular CorrosionX and not the HD (heavy duty) CorrosionX.  The HD is much thicker.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yup!  you can just dunk it in corrosion x!

Taily

Nunc est bibendum....

erikpowell

Hey gang, I've got a 955 and a 965, both star drag, both in excellent condition except for the clicker mechanisms.
The 955 is jammed in the OFF position and will not engage. No amount of lube & wiggling seems to free it up. It looks spotless inside ( at least what I can see ) One spring is compressed, and one is extended.
The 965 is similar but the button WILL move to both positions ( with some pressure) but no audible clicker.. the pawl won't hit the gear...

Removal & service of the mechanism seems quite daunting at best... where does PENN find people with fingers small enough to remove &/or replace that crazy thing? Seems nearly impossible to get the thing back together if i start removing the click assembly from the underside of the frames spool lip..

Anyone have experience with that or words of wisdom on the subject ....... Other than "why do you need the clicker anyway?"
Thanks fellas....

alantani

click springs corrode and break all the time.  the they jam up all the time.  you'll have to tear it completely apart.  and lube or grease everything.   :-\

broschro

Quote from: erikpowell on January 23, 2012, 02:06:50 AM
Hey gang, I've got a 955 and a 965, both star drag, both in excellent condition except for the clicker mechanisms.
The 955 is jammed in the OFF position and will not engage. No amount of lube & wiggling seems to free it up. It looks spotless inside ( at least what I can see ) One spring is compressed, and one is extended.
The 965 is similar but the button WILL move to both positions ( with some pressure) but no audible clicker.. the pawl won't hit the gear...

Removal & service of the mechanism seems quite daunting at best... where does PENN find people with fingers small enough to remove &/or replace that crazy thing? Seems nearly impossible to get the thing back together if i start removing the click assembly from the underside of the frames spool lip..

Anyone have experience with that or words of wisdom on the subject ....... Other than "why do you need the clicker anyway?"
Thanks fellas....

Just took apart a 975 and have to say I want one now that I've seen the inside, nice little reel, a little more $ than a used 4/0 though.   Does anyone think they compare to a hot rod 4/0?

jignpro

Alan I had a question I recently serviced my 965 International for a cleaning/lubing and I wanted to know what is the best way to put on Penn Part 69B onto Penn Part 43 because the little washer Penn Part 42R being on top made me break 2 or 3 retaining clips before I got so frustrated that I took the washer (Part 42R) completely off and was able to get enough room for the retaining clip onto the white shield Penn Part 43. Will this be ok for my levelwind or is this little washer a must for my reel? And if so what is the best way to place this retaining clip into place. I tried pliers and screwdrivers and all it ended up was with alot of anger and frustration.

thank you Alan. Love your knowledge. Sorry if things are offtopic and out of place I am still getting use to this new site.

alantani

yeah, been there.  if you have an acceptably low amount of "play" in the worm, then leave it be.  maybe the white nylon "swelled" a little.  who knows.  as long as it works, leave it be. 

maine guide

I just took a 965 apart for a friend last night.  The usual issue - the freespool buttom would not engage once clicked into "free spool".

It seems that there is no anti-reverse back up (no dog, no pawl) on these reels.  Is it soley the anti-reverse bearing that prevents this?  It seems that is rather common failure in most conventionals.  Or are these the only anti-reverse roller bearing out there that does not fail?

alantani

the anti-reverse bearing is very large compared to the relative size of the reel.  that is probably the reason that catastrophic failures are less common than other reels.

Kau Grown

Thanks for the tutorial Alan! Does the bearing on the right side of the spool come off? My free spool had slowed badly.....
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

alantani

yes, it does.  it is held in by a cross pin that is very easy to damage.  you will need to make a tool.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

Kau Grown

Thanks Alan!!! I'm gonna make me a tool tomorrow! I'm not sure if the pin is tapered.... does it matter which way the pin is pushed out? If my spool bearings needs to be replaced, what is the best replacement spool bearings for the best freespool and where can I buy them? Thanks Alan for your help!

Rob
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com