*** PHOTOBUCKET Is Now CHARGING For 3rd Party Hosting - $400 / yr ! ! !

Started by ez2cdave, June 29, 2017, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

Quote from: sdlehr on July 10, 2017, 03:49:07 PM
75% of their expenses come from non-income generating accounts

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobucket-launches-unlimited-3rd-party-hosting-plan/

Ad blockers choking their advertisement revenue stream...  guilty as charged!

josa1

Me too!!

Didn't mind a few pop up ads but it got to the point that most website pages had as many ads as info or text, or at least it seemed so.  Hard to look something up when an advertising video is running right in the middle of the text.

The other thing is that web pages with high ad domination load very slowly.  I see it happening now with emails from commercial enterprises that load emails with ads via pictures and videos.  They actually get around the pop up blockers because it's in an email format.  I never click on these emails or any pop up ads for that matter, but don't know that I can speak for my BW.

It's my understanding that a pop up ad only generates revenue if someone clicks on it.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Accidently clicked on an ad one time and got a nice virus.

josa1

Midway Tommy

Not related to Photobucket, but if I'm looking for something specific and get ambushed by some site with popup after popup I shut 'er down immediately and go somewhere else until I find a place that doesn't have a lot. I've got better things to do, and my time is worth much more, than sitting through a bunch of irrelevant annoying crap & bs that I have no use for. Maybe I'm unique but I'll pay more from a site that doesn't promote that kind of garbage.  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Marcq

steelhead_killer

Spent some time today looking (trying) at some older post that have gone blank as a result of this ransom.  Damn shame.  I can't imagine everyone will be able to build back what the site has lost.  Sad. 
><)))">

mo65

Quote from: steelhead_killer on July 10, 2017, 11:30:31 PM
Spent some time today looking (trying) at some older post that have gone blank as a result of this ransom.  Damn shame. 

I hear ya Andy, I picked up a beater DAM Quick 221 as a project, went to Fred's tutorial and it's been hit. I can't imagine what a mess I'll have trying to tear that reel down with no pics. Any chance you can fix that tutorial Fred? There must be hundreds of guys going through this. I haven't been hit yet...just checked a few of my posts...but I have the pics at the ready. I will be restoring all my project and build posts. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Mike and Andy --

At least for me, this is going to be a lesson and an opportunity --

While a noble and worthy motive -- I will not be rebuilding all of the old posts.

There are some tutorials and threads that have had 20,000, 30,000, 40,000, or more hits.  These I will repopulate with photos -- because they have proven to be popular and of some useful interest to folks.

Time is an issue --

With over 2500 photos being held hostage -- it would take me weeks, months, or more to redo all of the old posts.

We currently have a break in the timber felling and cleanup -- but it will start again pretty soon.  

I took a break to get caught up on 18 remaining builds for members, plus am now down to a backlog of 60+ reels that need service and repair for clients.

Built out 12 reels over the weekend for members -- using new parts on hand for about 50% of the reel -- am working on the remaining 18 this week -- Quicks, Mitchells.

Have been using the AT Site for photo hosting for the last 18 months -- anything prior to that will be absent of pics unless I rebuild.

Have also signed up with accounts on flicker, IMGUR, and PostImage -- just to spread things out to be safer -- and have more options.  So far, these (3) i age hosters seem stable.

But this will never be solved until we host everything on our site -- and maintain control of our own equipment and destiny.

We could spend weeks or months rebuilding posts -- only to have another hostage situation.

I will also be doing new tutorials -- hopefully having learned from the past.

Lets face it -- some posts are worthwhile -- and some not so much -- and become lost in the massive amount of information on our site.

If there is specific information you need, Mike -- on the 221 -- just ask, and I will post pics -- and do all I can to be of assistance.

I also agree with Dominick about the right of a company to do what they need to do to stay in business.

However, when a company gives us no notice, or only a few hours, like PB did -- then turns off our access to our photos -- unless we pay a ransom -- I do not agree with this mode of doing business.  It is sleazy, unethical, and just plain deceptive.  It reminds me of a company in trouble -- and trying to salvage all of the cash they can, reduce expenses, and be in a position for the owners to rob the incoming cash reserves -- and then either revamp their operation -- or close the doors forever -- walking away with our trust and cash.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on July 11, 2017, 01:00:48 AM
But this will never be solved until we host everything on our site -- and maintain control of our own equipment and destiny.

Alan, or any of the administrators, can you give me access to the Photo album on the site?
as you said, it will be safer if we use the site to host the pictures, of course only those related to post on At.com
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 11, 2017, 01:00:48 AM
There are some tutorials and threads that have had 20,000, 30,000, 40,000, or more hits.  These I will repopulate with photos -- because they have proven to be popular and of some useful interest to folks.

If there is specific information you need, Mike -- on the 221 -- just ask, and I will post pics -- and do all I can to be of assistance.

I haven't even popped the sideplate yet Fred...but when I do I'd surely feel better having that tutorial to guide me! It's had almost 18,000 views, I hope it falls into the "popular enough" category to have pics restored. If I get in a bind I'll holler at ya. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Rebuilding posts is no easy task.
I've been working on it for three weeks now.
I have over 8,000 posts.
The Key is to get your pictures on your hard drive.
I have all of mine.
Just trying to put them into their place.
That is the Battle.
One I will win.
If anyone needs one of my pictures restored.
Show me.
I'm trying.
Life is Good!

whalebreath

I've followed the instructions for downloading albums from PB onto my machine the first two were OK but now it takes so long I just give up-several dozen photos in each album anyone else had this issue?

oc1

Download getting slower....  Go to your file manager program, right click on drive C: then click "properties" (or something equivalent) and look for the amount of disk space and the amount of free space.  When you are getting close to full it will slow down.  You may have some other options there like emptying the recycle bin, compressing the disk, cleaning the disk, etc.  You can buy an external hard drive that connects with a USB wire and will give you more space than you will need for not much money.

-steve

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Easy Photobucket Fix

In the cases where former/current PhotoBucket users haven't deleted all their albums.
Chrome and Firefox now have an extension, Photobucket Embed Fix,  that will display 3rd party hosted images.
It will fix all your broken pics, no need for you to do anything, it runs entirely in the background.

Click Tools>Add-Ons (Or press CTL+Shift+A) >select Extensions > enter "photobucket embed" in the Search box (upper right corner) > then click the install button.

Done! All your old pics should now be displaying again.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."