fishing is just an excuse to make new friends

Started by steelfish, July 29, 2017, 01:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have many things to be greatful to fishing, mainly because it have brought me a lot of new friends that I would have never have if not for fishing (like the ones on this forum), let me tell you guys a short story; 3 months ago I meet a guy that was looking for someone on this small town that could fix his fishing rod and reel, well I meet him and got his fishing gear and when they were ready I drove to his home and ended up spending 3-4 hours talikng about fishing like if we were good old friends, he told me that he "live" in this town since 15 years ago but only spends an average of 50-60 days per year (3-4 days on 6-7 times a year) becasue his career the rest of the year is always traveling all over Mexico and Spain, for her next visit to town he wanted me to get him some hooks, braid line, etc because he wanted to catch a shark, he was going to be on a food expo on a near city as main expositor of the food fair and he would also have a small presentation about sea food on my town, I asked him what he do for living, well ended up that he is an Spanish Chef that have been living in Mexico for 20 years, he is also one of the main stars (judges) on the TV program show "Top Chef" Mexico edition.

that next visit was due this past weekend, on Saturday I gave him the accesories I got for him and he invited me to go fish with him because none of his friends that came with him know anything about fishing and he wanted to spend the day with someone that like fishing as much as him, well I accepted and next day we went to Gonzaga Bay area, we packed some 40# rods for catch bait and two 100# all rollers rods with two penn internationals a 30 and my 50S with tons of 150# braid line and #400 mono leader plus 5ft 480lb cable and 16/0 circle hooks and 18/0 J-hook that mr Sharkman itself made for his ocation (thanks again Daron).
well sharks didnt wanted to cooperate with us, actually the current was too strong and we couldnt even catch bait haha, so no sharks this time maybe next, I will made the preparation and logistic for the next time so the odds will be more on our favor next time, but that didnt stop us to spend a great day fishing inshore species and talk like old friends about everything related to fishing and local waters and how he love Mexico but specially Baja.

I will share some pictures of the beautiful landscapes of the gonzaga area, maybe one day I will post a picture of the shark with my friend.

arriving to the captain home

minutes before to get into the water

to catch a Shark we went

and tried out with some small hooks for premium bait for shark but no avail, just some spotted bay Bass and triggers

the Fathom 40LD2 with an Alantani knob, awesome improve to the reel 3x better

then we went to this special hidden place on the biggest island, sometimes a year, when the sea level gets pretty high you could drive your small vessel (panga) inside of the Island over a wall of rocks that got covered by the water that "natural event" make a giant pool inside of the Island in which you could navigate, swim, etc, buy if you get your boat inside it has to be for minutes only, you only have a short time period once the water sea level starts to go down you have to exit the giant pool or you can get trapped there until the next hide tide, no wonder the gonzaga area is also know as the Enchanted Islands.

this was entering the giant pool

the next pics are from the boat inside the pool to the shore of the island

then some more pictures of another Island

day was excellent, pretty weird on summer, it was cloudy and kind of fresh, but fishing was almost non existence
so, we called a Day and got our way home, by the way, remember my rebuilded Musky rod? it was paired excellent with the
trini 16, it cast a mile a 3oz tady jr with 50# braid.

still on the boat but already trailered on land, those islands were where we were just minutes ago

the new compadres

next day I was invited to be on the front chairs on the seafood Kitchen expo, with the main star

this is a Cachopo, a traditional Spanish dish from the Asturian area of Spain, this time it was made with local halibut, cheese, Serrano spanish ham and deep fried with fried potatoe hair (really small french cuts).

Thanks Alan Tani, without your help all this years I wouldnt know half of what I know now about reels and thanks to all AT communitty, this is one very special place that have helped to meet wonferful people
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Very cool post compadre, your a good friend to many here as well ;).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

What a magical place you call home,nice to share with friends, Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Alex.
Thank you for taking us along.
I can't wait to see you catch a shark on one of my rigs.
Sharks are eating what is available. One of those triggers would have done nicely.
Those pictures are Breath taking.
Gracias, Amigo. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Alex that is a great story.  You are correct we make a lot of friends through fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Wonderful tale and that is what it's all about. 

MarkT

Very nice Alex. I tell people there are no strangers on fishing boats, just friends I haven't met yet.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Guys, amigos, thanks a lot for your kind words, I just knew you might enjoy the pictures of those fantastic places, next time I will try to post some nice fishes too

@ Sal thanks for your words amigo, I really appreciate it
@ Daron, I will follow your advise and throw as big bloody bait any of the local fish if need it, we were waiting to catch a greasy skipjack/tuna, sierra or ray to use it for the shark but no luck as you saw.
@ Mark, I really like what you said about unknow friends on a boat, I will adopt it, its really cool
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Azar

Very cool story, and beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing!

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on July 29, 2017, 01:02:29 AM

then we went to this special hidden place on the biggest island, sometimes a year, when the sea level gets pretty high you could drive your small vessel (panga) inside of the Island over a wall of rocks that got covered by the water that "natural event" make a giant pool inside of the Island in which you could navigate, swim, etc, buy if you get your boat inside it has to be for minutes only, you only have a short time period once the water sea level starts to go down you have to exit the giant pool or you can get trapped there until the next hide tide, no wonder the gonzaga area is also know as the Enchanted Islands.

this was entering the giant pool

this video will give you a better idea of the lagoon inside of the rocky Island

The Baja Guy

scrinch

Sounds like you had a great time! While catching fish is a blast, just going out in a boat with old (or new) friends is half the fun!