WTB...First Gen., non-numbered, 14/0 handle

Started by Tightlines667, June 19, 2015, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 12, 2017, 06:55:30 AM
QuoteLooks like another first gen 14/0 has surfaced...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272545858706

Yes, it sold for $510.00........... A fair price for a rare big game reel. IMHO

As many 1st gen 14/0 reels that have been found, I would not classify it as "rare"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

As many 1st gen 14/0 reels that have been found, I would not classify it as "rare"

OK,  I think have seen about 15 of them found in the last ten years or so. I have mine for many years and I know I sent one to Ray. Hard to say how many are actually out there, I do feel they are hard to find. Classifying something as rare is a tough call. There are degrees of Rare also. I would not say the first gen 14/0 is as rare as the first gen 16/0; but, does that mean the first gen 14/0 is not rare. Maybe, whatever floats your boat is OK with me.

Superhook

I would classify the 14/0 as Scarce and the 16/0 as Rare.  For now. IMHO.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would classify the 14/0 as Scarce and the 16/0 as Rare.  For now. IMHO.

"""SCARCE""",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I like that. Let's make """"SCARCE""" a new official classification. There will be hard called, Hard to Find, then there will be harder called  Scarce and finally there will be hardest called Rare.

54bullseye

NEW GIRL ON THE BLOCK !!  Well thanks to ORCA member "1badf350" who told me about a Craigslist add for a 14/0 Penn Senator with 130 lb. class bent butt rod I am now the proud owner of a nice 1st gen 14/0 Senator. I live in Mass. and the add was from NH. and unfortunately for 1badf350 the guy would not ship the rod or reel so I drove the 1.5 hours and met the guy and the rest is history. I took reel apart yesterday and gave it a clean and lube. I was very happy the way it cleaned up !!! The guy I bought it from just had it lubed and filled with line to use on Giant Tuna off NH coast so I am sure glad to rescue it !  Here are some pictures.

These old Penn Senators seem to be trickling out of the cellars and garages one by one !       John Taylor

54bullseye

few more pics

Alto Mare

Nice reel! I like the way you keep everything together as you take it apart.
If you're going to fish it, I suggest for you to get one of the later models.
This wouldn't be because it couldn't handle big fish, many have been caught with the three-piece- spools.
My suggestion not to fish it is because that reel is very valuable to some serious collectors and it is in excellent shape, you just need to find the right person, unless you are that person ;D
Good luck with it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

54bullseye

Sal
The reel is home and won't be fished !! Keeping parts together like that came from a John Elder post on ORCA about a big KOV Cradle.   Great find.   John

1badf350

I'm glad I could get in the hands of someone who will care for it. Even though I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS!!! LOL LOL ;) ;)
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tightlines667

Wow!

That's a stunner there! 

Great find!

:o :o :o

Now I am beginning to believe a 16/0 may just show up one of these days as well.

My reel came from that part of the country as well.

John

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

John
I think a lot of big game reels ended up in New England and the Canadian Maritimes for giant Bluefin Tuna. My buddy Doug got a really nice pre serial number 16/0 Senator mounted on a mint big Montague rod out of Nova Scotia a few years ago. Where did yours show up ?    John Taylor

broadway

That's the nicest 14/0 first gen I've ever seen.  Tough reel to come by.
Nice find,
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 30, 2017, 05:22:30 PM
John
I think a lot of big game reels ended up in New England and the Canadian Maritimes for giant Bluefin Tuna. My buddy Doug got a really nice pre serial number 16/0 Senator mounted on a mint big Montague rod out of Nova Scotia a few years ago. Where did yours show up ?    John Taylor

Mine was right in Mike C's backyard. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe reel is home and won't be fished !! Keeping parts together like that came from a John Elder post on ORCA about a big KOV Cradle.

Great restoration John. First gen 14/0's are not an easy find. Finding one in the condition you found this one in makes it even more rare. Congrats on the find.

Many of the early big game reels from Penn were tested by Otto Henze and his friends on the big tuna in the Nova Scotia waters, you may have a special source for those reels living where you do.

The Great Maudu

John Taylor you've done it again. That 14/0 is gorgeous.