Near collisions

Started by David Hall, July 17, 2017, 07:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Okay I'm asking for some input from some the more knowledgeable and experienced members here.  Last Saturday while fishing the last day of salmon season 2017 in Monterey Bay I had a very unusual encounter with a group of three sailboats.  I am aware that the law states that Power boats must yield to sailboats.  It's only right since power boats can maneuver anywhere and sailboats are mostly at the mercy of the winds.
  Here's what happened.  I had been trolling all morning at 1.7-2.2 mph in a small area over a hole about 2 miles across.  I noticed three sailboats in line tacking up from my South on my starboard.  I kept an eye on them to see if they might change course and when they got within about 1/2 mile of me, I realized they were not going to turn so I gave way and turned 90* west off their line.  Shortly after the lead sailboat turned 120* and tacked behind me crossing my stern within 80 feet of me, the second boat tacked further behind me.  They were scooting along at 7-9mph and passed me on my port quickly sailing off at about 45* from my line.  I maintained my heading and soon thereafter the lead sailboat tacked to his starboard again bringing himself on a direct collision course with me.  I could not believe he would do this and I maintained my course and speed as before until I realized he was not going to turn and I was forced to shut down as he tacked directly across my bow at 40'.  He had his wife and two other coup,e onboard his 60' boat, and I greeted him with a distinct query asking what in the h*** he was doing?  He hollered back me, I'm a sailboat, not a power boat!  I suggested we meet up at the Harbor and resolve this to which his wife began screaming at me.   By this time he was across my bow and sailing clear.  I decided it had been a great morning and this was as good a time as any to pull the plug and go in.  I'm still tick d off by his arrogance and rudeness.  There wasn't another boat within 10 miles of me and I intentionally stayed away from the fleet.  Yet he was determined to use my boat as a target making three separate direct attempts to collide with me.  Seems absolutely crazy to me.
  Anyway what say the brotherhood on right wrong or best behaviour. 

STRIPER LOU

The guy was an idiot!

It looks as though you were doing everything to give him the right of way. I'd say you are a patient man!
Unfortunately that chump was looking for trouble and you happened to be in the way.

Don't let it bother you Dave and luckily there aren't too many jackasses like that on the water.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

PS I'd probably done the same as you ( I think ), ..... my brother on the other hand would have probably gotten out the grapnel!  lol

Tiddlerbasher

I think I would have gone for the 4" cannon Mr. Christian ;D

Sluggo

Sounds like he went out of his way to create this situation

humboldtdan

jurelometer

From a legal standpoint:

If the sailboat is overtaking the powerboat (he was crossing your bow from behind 7 knots vs 2 knots)  doesn't the sailboat become the give-way vessel?  Sailboats don't have some sort of universal privilege to mess with other boats.

Also, if/when the sailboat was the stand-on vessel, it had an obligation to maintain course and speed, in addition to the general obligation to navigate in a manner to avoid risk of collision. 

From a practical standpoint:

Perhaps the other guy was showing off his helmsmanship and cut it a bit closer than intended.  This embarrassed (deleted) now  puts the burden on you to manage the situation he started.   Unfair, but your choices at this point:

a)  Trade blows at the dock (now you both are not looking so bright)
b)  Stew on it for as long as possible (doesn't affect the other guy- just ruins your fun)
c) Do your best to calm down, laugh it off, and move on.  If you thought the other vessels behavior has particularly dangerous, you could report it to the Coast Guard.    If the guy gets in a collision, this will be part of his record.  His future victims will thank you.

I hate the thought of being on a boat with a hothead who is going to escalate when the inevitable happens.   I think you did the right thing by cooling off and moving on.

Not easy,  but the right move.

-J

Gfish

Possible "instant A---hole, just add alcohol" as in "oh boy a chance to show off for my friends, cause we don't like powerboaters". Mabey some past incidents where he was on the short end? Absolutly can not stand it when cowards gotta do stuff like that, cause they got their "group" around 'em. I deal with that crap from school kids alla time and I'm startin to get scared a how I lose my temper with the main instigators, they're only kids and It's always the most insecure ones.
Can ya find the vessel where its docked, be sure to check it for the guy, make sure there's no holes at the draft line? Kidding! Seriously dude, the State & probably our Coast Guard get pretty active against stuff like this that involves intoxicated boat operators, if that was the case. Best to be ready next time and write down alla info. you can if there's(God forbid, it's our santuary out there!)another close call.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

My fishing partner at the time was onboard, he grew up on a sailboat, sailed to 38 countries.  When he saw the guy coming across our bow on his third tack he shook his head and said I'm just going to sit down and keep my mouth shut.  That's when I came unglued and engaged the other captain in heated conversation with particular attention to his intelligence.  After which my deckhand told him several times he was wrong, he then apologized and wished him a good day, while I went to the helm and made a course correction to take myself out of his midship.  I thought I was correct in my actions but wanted to run it by here to get some objective opinions.
 I know where he ties off and I think I will discuss this with the coast guard at the harbor.  If he did this to me with so little regard he may actually cause an accident with someone less tolerant than I am.

theswimmer

David if you were fishing and showing the flag for such (no one does) you have the right of way and sailing vessels must stand off and plot a course that will not interfere with your fishing.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

That's it, I'm fitting the boat with guns!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RowdyW

How about a surplus torpedo or two. "Run silent, Run deep"   ;D ;D

Decker

Get it all on GoPro next time, so that you are ready for the law suit  ;D

Cortez_Conversions

Dave,
I'd file it with the Coasties, just to document him as the prince he thinks he is and then let it go.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

STRIPER LOU

I like that idea, Tom!

............Lou