Lexa 300 HD looking for opinions

Started by PacRat, July 09, 2017, 10:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Lexa 300 to replace my Ambassadeur 6500 mostly for throwing plastics at calicos. I've experienced the thrill of landing 2 yellowtail and a white seabass on the 6500 and the whole time I was certain it would blow the gears or strip the gearsleeve. The reel survived just fine but now I find myself leaving it in the rack rather than fishing it out of fear of being under-gunned. I'm 99% certain a Lexa will replace it but there are so many variations and gear ratios available. I would like an HD model for the stainless gears but the ratios seem higher than what I'm used to. Any and all advice is appreciated. Also how much braid are you guys getting on the 300?
Thanks
Mike

johndtuttle

Quote from: PacRat on July 09, 2017, 10:18:17 PM
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Lexa 300 to replace my Ambassadeur 6500 mostly for throwing plastics at calicos. I've experienced the thrill of landing 2 yellowtail and a white seabass on the 6500 and the whole time I was certain it would blow the gears or strip the gearsleeve. The reel survived just fine but now I find myself leaving it in the rack rather than fishing it out of fear of being under-gunned. I'm 99% certain a Lexa will replace it but there are so many variations and gear ratios available. I would like an HD model for the stainless gears but the ratios seem higher than what I'm used to. Any and all advice is appreciated. Also how much braid are you guys getting on the 300?
Thanks
Mike

Get the 400 and put about ~300 yds of 50# braid on there to a kelp cutter rig.

The larger size is more all purpose than the 300 if a YT picks up your jig. And you can use it to fly line a bait over tuna too.

PacRat

Thanks for your opinion John. I will compare the 400 to the 300. I'm really looking for something light and fun for the sandies and calicos with enough guts to keep me out of trouble if something bigger eats my lure. The advertised 22 lbs. of drag in the 300 will be a lot more than I was getting from my Ambassedeurs.

I like the strength of the stainless gears in the HD models but the HDs have high gear ratios (8:1 & 7:1) which seem a bit high for my likes. Do any of you guys fishing the these find the gear ratio a bit high for yellowtails? Do any of you guys with brass gears find yourselves wishing you had steel gears?

Also I like the idea of having a clicker. I never use a clicker while fishing but it's very handy for preventing overruns while re-rigging in the heat of a bite. I don't believe clickers are available on the HDs or the 400s.

I have plenty of heavier reels. I'm just looking for something to fill in the niche at the bottom of the spectrum to replace my Ambassedeurs.

Thanks
Mike

johndtuttle

Quote from: PacRat on July 15, 2017, 12:43:54 AM
Thanks for your opinion John. I will compare the 400 to the 300. I'm really looking for something light and fun for the sandies and calicos with enough guts to keep me out of trouble if something bigger eats my lure. The advertised 22 lbs. of drag in the 300 will be a lot more than I was getting from my Ambassedeurs.

I like the strength of the stainless gears in the HD models but the HDs have high gear ratios (8:1 & 7:1) which seem a bit high for my likes. Do any of you guys fishing the these find the gear ratio a bit high for yellowtails? Do any of you guys with brass gears find yourselves wishing you had steel gears?

Also I like the idea of having a clicker. I never use a clicker while fishing but it's very handy for preventing overruns while re-rigging in the heat of a bite. I don't believe clickers are available on the HDs or the 400s.

I have plenty of heavier reels. I'm just looking for something to fill in the niche at the bottom of the spectrum to replace my Ambassedeurs.

Thanks
Mike

Don't worry about the high speed retrieves though, the 8:1 would be popper specific, imo.

The very high speed is balanced by very short spools and long handles.  Most people find that the 7:1 has spectacular cranking power, relatively speaking.

With the 300 I think you are on the right track for Sandies and Checkers. They would handle paddy YT too for the most part. Just, you know, how those home guard YT can be...never know when you might get picked up by one of those. But I bet the 400 is about the same weight as a 6500 (~14 oz or so).

MarkT

I had the original 300, 7:1 w/power handle. I've caught a lot of Calicos and YT on it. I sold it and my 400 and got the 400 hd 7:1. I already have multiple 300 sized reels so let the Lexa go. I find the 400 size more useful. I've caught Bass, YT, YFT and Wahoo on the 400 including a 30# YT at Guadalupe last month.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

r8rs4lf

I have the HD400 on a United Composite bass rod. It's my absolute favorite set up. So light! My last trip I was fishing for bass out of Long Beach when something pulled hard. Ended up being this huge Barracuda at the end of the line. It did just fine and I bounced it on deck.

I initially went with a HD300, but I returned it for a 400HD. The 400 is a bit bigger in size, but I think its better.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 09, 2017, 10:55:11 PM
Get the 400 and put about ~300 yds of 50# braid on there to a kelp cutter rig.
The larger size is more all purpose than the 300 if a YT picks up your jig. And you can use it to fly line a bait over tuna too.
X2 or spool the 300 with the best 30lb straight braid your money can buy or buy pro challenger's 40lb hollow which i use...btw i have both; the HD 300XS-P(which i've used twice now but not really tested yet on bigger fish) n HD 400H-P  which will be tested, hopefully, on the mirage and the pride next month...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMfYZJDWBW15ZMosYwmnYBB0pqotLcUL-g1PB6NDPQ8b4mjt7lC9I3sqR3lsy5Wnw/photo/AF1QipMUu7REks14fl-dXn5voJG33slRviB9JqeRuWhP?key=NXZPRmRKd1ZwaVlHUGJZMmRLY085TkgzQmg3Tnhn

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

photo of pro challenger's 40lb hollow thunder spooled on my saltiga 15hl;

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMfYZJDWBW15ZMosYwmnYBB0pqotLcUL-g1PB6NDPQ8b4mjt7lC9I3sqR3lsy5Wnw/photo/AF1QipO-LvG7HDiMSNBbTQWXl1OHazLuCfOW8VU1NVi3?key=NXZPRmRKd1ZwaVlHUGJZMmRLY085TkgzQmg3Tnhn

it is much easier to work with compared to jb. but then again that's just me... :)

please note that the only connection i have with pro challenger is as a customer... :)

mods please move to appropriate forum sub-category as you please... >:( ;) :)

PacRat

Thanks for all the input and advice. I just pulled the trigger on an HD400 7.1:1
Mike