2/0 "Bait Special" conversion of a 3/0

Started by mhc, June 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Rothmar2 on July 06, 2017, 08:58:31 PM
This is why you never throw anything out.....but try explaining that to our other halves!
Keep it coming Mike.

x2

My wife will be canonized for putting up with my projects ::)

Tiddlerbasher

mhc

I've been waiting for some 5/8" and 3/4" countersunk stainless 5-40 screws to finish putting this reel together.

I had a spare set of stainless 6-40 bridge screws I had modified when building my Cortez jigmasters;

I made an eccentric lever out of 2 mm stainless with a 5-40 cup head screw and rounded off nuts for the stop. This photo was before tightening and peening the end of the screw;

The heads of the rod clamp studs still interfered with the spool after I ground them down to around 1.5 mm so I went to plan B and removed the heads and screwed them into the stand, put blue threadlock on the round spacers and tightened the stud with the hex nut.

The hex nuts were removed to make room for the rod. Front view;

Back;

Side;

The handle was borrowed off of my stainless frame 501 until I get one of Adam's offset handles and a stainless star. The grip is one of Alan T's 3/0 size.

Mike    
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Army_of_One

You've made it look factory.  That is some artwork for sure.  :P
Another day in Paradise!

sdlehr

This reel is currently nominated for our Ohana Calendar. It's an amazing accomplishment and IMHO deserves to be included in the calendar. Excellent job, Mike!
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mhc

Thanks guys.
Sid, there are many more visually appealing reels to grace the pages of your calendar - I think this reel deserves a curious glance at best, not a month of daily viewing.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

thanks Mike great job, thanks for posting, you have entertained us, and educated us, I would look @ your reel on a calender for a full 12 months and more, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat