Levelwind question

Started by cwillis85, July 22, 2017, 04:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

This is probably a question that has been answered 100 times but i cannot find it off hand. Cleaned up a levelmatic 920 for my daughter to fish and finally got to use it today. Worked great with a sabiki and brought in all the green backs she wanted but i noticed the levelwind gets out of sync, then notice it occasionally seems to get stuck on the right side for a second. What is causing this, bad pawl?
Chris

Gfish

That'ed be my first thought. You could try'n remove the pawl and if it's ok(not too worn)reposition it relative to the spool line position, then make sure it's "in the grove" fairly tight. Isa spool centered in the frame?
When I post thoughts/advice, I usually end up bein off at least a little bit and learnin alot. So lets see...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

My guess is that the worm is bad -- that it has a nick on the end where the level wind gets stuck. From my experience it is very rare for the pawl to go bad when the worm is good. Go to MysticParts.com and see if you can get a new worm **and** a new pawl.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: akfish on July 22, 2017, 04:26:21 PM
My guess is that the worm is bad...get a new worm **and** a new pawl.

X2 and get a few pawls...cuz that part is usually the culprit in this type of issue...

cwillis85

I looked and everything looks ok but from what i am gathering i may be a not so obvious bit of damage causing the problem. Looks like i have a old 920 and the parts for it are not going to be easy to find. Not the end of the world, my four year old uses the reel to fish a sabiki of the sunshine skyway so we will fish it until it stops completely.

My favorite part of this reel is that it is so small it fits her hands and seems to be holding up to the salt well and as an added bonus i have about $15 into the combo can anyone recommend a possible replacement reel that would fit her hands and lay the line itself.

Got to keep this smile on her face
Chris

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

from scott's;

DESIGN CHANGED ON ALL OF THE BELOW PARTS!!!
If your reel has these parts and some of them need changing, the reel will need an overhaul to the newer parts (Changed mid 80s)
2N 2N-910 RIGHT SIDE RING 43 43-910 R.S. WORM BEARING
28 28N-910 LEFT SIDE RING 44 44-910 L.S. WORM BEARING
30 30N-910 STAND 45N 45N-910 WORM GEAR
30A 30A-910 R.S. STAND SPACER 52 52-910 RETAINING RING
30B 30B-910 L.S. STAND SPACER * 58A-910 R.S. POST NUT
31 31N-910 STAND SCREW 64B 64B-910 IDLER GEAR BUSHING
32 32-910 L.S. STAND SCREW 64C 64C-910 IDLER GEAR SHAFT
37S 58N-910 SLOTTED LINE GUIDE 64N 64N-910 IDLER GEAR (NEW)
42 42-910 WORM
TO IDENTIFY: See the drawing comparing early run stand to later run stand.

scott's has the pawl 47-910

btw the pawl just goes in one way. if my memory serves me right, perpendicular to the grooves of the worm.

cwillis85

Am I reading it wrong, they were selling an entire kit to upgrade the reel. I am reading it as needing to replace all of those parts if you need to replace any of the parts. If i just need a pawl and worm drive i will get it but i am not going to do that much work to this little beater reel.
Chris

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

idk but you can ask mo her username is mizmo67...

Shark Hunter

Willis,
Drop Keith a pm. I bet he has the parts you need.
His screen name is "handi2".
I'm not familiar with the Levelmatic, but I know the peers have an adjustment for the levelwind that makes it easy.
This fellow here can help too. I've bought a lot of parts from him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-LEVELMATIC-910-920-NEW-WORM-GEAR-SET-PART-42-910-43-910-44-910-45N-910-50-/122578136460?hash=item1c8a39ed8c:g:9kUAAOSwjDZYimh~
Life is Good!

handi2

I should have all the parts you need NOS.

I'm working tomorrow so I will check and let you know. How is the finish on the reel and its chrome parts? I cant have a child fishing with a rusty looking reel ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cwillis85

I would greatly appriciate it if you can locate the parts, as for the finish, well it looks like it was well used and i am fine with that. My little girl had three large green backs on her sabiki, laid the rod on the concrete saftey rail and winched them up all on her own. Checked the rod when we got home and it has the battle scares from that railing but for the money i have into that setup she can beat it up all she wants and when she takes more care we will get her moved on to the long beach i vinyl wrapped for her, then im sure she will be wanting her own cortez framed reels one day. For now we are happy with the well loved outter surface of her reel, keeps my blood pressure down.  :D
Chris

Cor

Usually it's just a matter of wear, though sounds like you may have a different issue.
On my shimano's it's alway the pawl that goes first, then the worm.   Sometimes I add a .05 shim behind the pawl and it will last another couple of weeks.

Good luck, nice to see the youngster having fun with a rod and reel!
Cornelis

mizmo67

We only have the newer parts available here, and because of the changes it is a change one, change all scenario.
It's pricey and we usually don't recommend it unless there is major sentimental value involved.

If Keith has the NOS items that would be your best route for a worm that works. Pawl is the same on either version.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

cwillis85

Thank you for the clearing that up Mo, my only attachment to the reel is I think it is neat how it looks a bit like a tiny internation, if Kieth has the parts I will go that route, if not I have had some other options presented to me for a replacement reel.

We will have my daughter catching bait problem free by the next trip.  :D

Gotta love the AT family, especially when it comes to help the little ones get involved in the sport.
Chris

handi2

I just pulled all the parts for a 910 thinking that's what you needed. I'll get back in the box and see what I come up with.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL