Halibut Tail

Started by Hardy Boy, July 28, 2017, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I was trolling for Chinook and ended up getting a strike and heavy pull, and 30 mins latter up comes this 70 lb halibut snagged in the tail with the hootchie. It was all that my 11 foot mooching rod and single action reel could handle. Our max size allowed for halibut is 133 cm and this one was just under 132 .................. so that was lucky also! Oh yeah we were into 8 Chinook also.
Todd

David Hall

That's what you call a happy accident. 

coastal_dan

Great catch!  Congrats!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

MarkT

Nice!  You know what they say.... it's better to be lucky than good.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

A nice  surprise Todd, too bad you didn't have a fish stretcher with you 😄, that was close.
Maybe one day you'll meet again.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Nice fish.

In California you're not supposed to keep a snagged fish. They have to voluntarily take the hook into their mouths.

Not sure if anyone follows the rules...
Steve

Hardy Boy

In BC in the Ocean: you are not allowed to "willfully foul hook or attempt to fowl hook" so trolling off of a down rigger and having a fish hook itself in the body will not get you in trouble. Guys that put on large trebles and jig them .................... that's a different story.
Todd

Hardy Boy

I don't want anyone to think I broke the regulations as I pride myself on knowing them so I did a quick check in the Federal Fishery Regs and not just the guide book. Funny how they very by region, water body, country province and state. In BC the Federal Government manages the sport fishery on the Ocean and The Province on the lakes and rivers (other than for salmon) ..................... clear as mud.
Todd

MarkT

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2017, 05:58:25 PM
A nice  surprise Todd, too bad you didn't have a fish stretcher with you 😄, that was close.

Sal

Sal, he was just under the maximum length he could keep, not just under the minimum length!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88

Quote from: Hardy Boy on July 28, 2017, 08:57:34 PM
In BC in the Ocean: you are not allowed to "willfully foul hook or attempt to fowl hook" so trolling off of a down rigger and having a fish hook itself in the body will not get you in trouble. Guys that put on large trebles and jig them .................... that's a different story.

There very well may be more nuance to the California regs as well. I'll look it up and post when I can.

Anyway, you know your BC regs and are on solid ground.

Maxed Out

Love the halibut on a whip with single action reel. Nice going, that's a pile of white meat !! I'm definitely jealous.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on July 28, 2017, 09:23:35 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2017, 05:58:25 PM

Sal

Sal, he was just under the maximum length he could keep, not just under the minimum length!
Oh, got it Mark, I just reread it.

Thanks!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Nice bicatch;  that musta been a fun at first fight on the little Islander,  I always wanted to try one of those reels.  Butt ive converted some other alum framed moochers to larger spool versions and use the Diawa and Shimano plastic jobbers for my friends.   
    Thanks for your post,   keep your line tight! ;)