7/20/17 - 7/22/17 Tilefish Trip

Started by coastal_dan, July 24, 2017, 04:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 26, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
Also, I'd like to talk to someone about doing a slightly longer handle arm...maybe extending by 1/4" or 1/2". 

I cannot agree more with you on the bit longer handle arm for the Baja Special, Adam was offering a handle arm for the Baja on special request

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 13, 2016, 03:30:23 AM
............But there is a downside.  Titanium is expensive.  So these handles will have to be priced higher than the stainless versions.

The Sal's handle will be $24 each for all of the following fitments:  112H/jigmaster long version, 113H, Newell 200-600, and Penn Baja special/torque 200-300/etc.

The counterbalanced handle will also be available for $34 each for all of the following fitments:  113H, Newell 200-600, and Penn Baja special/torque 200-300/etc.

The long version of the 112H/jigmaster handle is the same length as the 113H handle.  I will consider offering any other sizes and designs if there is a demand for it.  The Baja special is a new fitment, and I will be adding that as an option to all of my current designs

If youre interested in purchasing any of these, just reply here with what you want.  I have material, but so far Ive only had a few samples cut. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18609.0

we might have to start a list for a prototype of handle arm for a Baja Special, on Ti as its already offered to make it lighter and bit longer.. Im in  ;D ;D

by the day, congratulation on the fishing trip looks like you had your reward for the bad expecience on your kidney

my wife still complaint about the time when I was at the hospital for a kidney stone too, for my luck I expulsed it by myself at the hospital after 10 hours under med with no much pain, and I asked the Dr. , amigo I was planing to go fishing tomorrow morning, dont tell me that I have to stay home for 2 days on bed or something like that, the Dr. just told, heck amigo, of course I wont tell you that, once the kidney stone leave your body you are good, just take your medication for the possible infection and you are good to go fishing, well my wife just asked the Dr. 3 times in a row, are you sure Dr? and everytime the answer was a fantastic YES he can!!
next day while fishing my compadres couldnt believe that I was at the hospital with a kidney stone problem haha.

well, I totally understand you on this experience

The Baja Guy

handi2

That's a feat using non electric gear. My hat's off to you Dan.

We fish for them all the time here. All day trolling with nothing in the box is in the past. But...we use electric reels. 600 to 1000' of water.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Decker

Hypothetical question: Could a  SS beefed-up wide Jigmaster (or Mag 990) cut the mustard mechanically on a tilefish trip?    I understand that the most limiting factor is line capacity.  What would be a minimum braid test?  I've never caught one, but I don't imagine that they fight like tuna :)

Three se7ens

Quote from: steelfish on July 26, 2017, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: coastal_dan on July 26, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
Also, I'd like to talk to someone about doing a slightly longer handle arm...maybe extending by 1/4" or 1/2". 

I cannot agree more with you on the bit longer handle arm for the Baja Special, Adam was offering a handle arm for the Baja on special request

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 13, 2016, 03:30:23 AM
............But there is a downside.  Titanium is expensive.  So these handles will have to be priced higher than the stainless versions.

The Sal's handle will be $24 each for all of the following fitments:  112H/jigmaster long version, 113H, Newell 200-600, and Penn Baja special/torque 200-300/etc.

The counterbalanced handle will also be available for $34 each for all of the following fitments:  113H, Newell 200-600, and Penn Baja special/torque 200-300/etc.

The long version of the 112H/jigmaster handle is the same length as the 113H handle.  I will consider offering any other sizes and designs if there is a demand for it.  The Baja special is a new fitment, and I will be adding that as an option to all of my current designs

If youre interested in purchasing any of these, just reply here with what you want.  I have material, but so far Ive only had a few samples cut. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18609.0

we might have to start a list for a prototype of handle arm for a Baja Special, on Ti as its already offered to make it lighter and bit longer.. Im in  ;D ;D

I dont want to completely derail this thread, but I offer all of my handles to fit the baja special/US senators now.  I dont have much in stock, as I havent had much interest.  But I can have more made from stainless or titanium at any time, and Im open to suggestions on preferred lengths, etc.

coastal_dan

Adam - Sweet!  I shot you an email yesterday, but let me do some measuring and discussing with Alex...maybe we can start a new thread in your store on what folks may be looking for.  My thoughts are adding a 1/2" to the O.C. dimension between the sleeve and handle mounting hole would be a huge advantage.

Decker - I use 50 lb and 65 lb braid.  Anything is possible, here would be my concerns with using a Jiggy (just my opinions!)...

1) It would have to have either an Accurate or Tiburon frame to avoid twisting/racking.  Keep in mind you may have to use weights up to and over 4 lbs.

2) Drag #'s...I had my US113N buckled down...so around 20 lbs of drag and there were a few times I wanted a bit more!

3) Narrow vs wide reels - narrow is a whole lot easier to crank up due to less 'rocking' back and forth while putting a lot of muscle into the handle.  The narrow is more 'linear' with the rod and the line never goes too far to either side, thus helping with that back and forth motion

4)Line capacity - In a perfect world I'd want a reel that could hold 3x the depth of the water I was fishing.  So if I was doing 2 or 2 1/2 day trips out there I'd want about 2500 - 3000 ft of line.  But with the 1 and 1  1/2 day trips you should be fine with 1500 ft to 2000' of line.  My thought is that you have A) your line never goes straight down, so there is some angle to your line..adding length B) If you break off at 800' deep do you have enough to drop again or do you need to re-spool? (Rarely will your line break at the rod, but what if a guide has an issue and BANG there goes $50 worth of line!? (I always carry an extra 500 yd spool of 50 lb just in case).

Just some random rabbling and thoughts.

Edit: One more thought...handle!  It needs to be big and comfortable;  I heard numerous guys complaining about hurting and cramped hands...then you look at their reel and it would be a tiny factory knob/paddle...no good...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Decker

Thanks very much, Dan.  Those details really put it in perspective.  I have no concept of fishing so deep.  Now I see why many would use an electric reel.   You must be putting time in a the gym as part of your preparation.  Are you reeling with the rod in a holder? 

Bill B

Good job brother....glad to hear the little hospital episode didnt keep you home.  Tilefishing sounds a lot like rock cod fishing in California before the depth restrictions.  We used 6/0 or bigger Penns, 80 lb or 50 lb dacron and 3+ lbs of lead with a 7'+ rod, usually with roller tips and strippers.  Was always kinda  of fun as you retrieved your line (btw 5-10 hook ganyons were the norm) about half way the light would start to get light, then no resistance then up would pop you 5-10 fish suffering from barotrauma 25 yards from the boat....then it was a race to get it aboard before the sharks and pelicans taxed you.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!