Fathom 40nld2 binding?

Started by StuPidaso, July 27, 2017, 11:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuPidaso

I recently got a 40lds and I'm experiencing side load with only 12 lbs or so of drag. Still has good free spool just a lot of resistance when reeling. It's spooled with 80 izor. Is this a bearing issue? I want to try and fix it myself as most of the repair shops are backed up.

steelfish

is this your first LD reel?

Im asking because I got the same "feeling" when I just got my 40LD2, like if the reel have a bit of resistance to turn the handle, I asked everywhere but it was my 1st LD reel so it feels totally different to a star drag reel.

its yours 2 speed? if positive swith to low gear and try it, mine feels like a star drag on low gear, but on the water you dont feel that resistance when reeling your line back
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: StuPidaso on July 27, 2017, 11:19:14 PM
I recently got a 40lds and I'm experiencing side load with only 12 lbs or so of drag. Still has good free spool just a lot of resistance when reeling. It's spooled with 80 izor. Is this a bearing issue? I want to try and fix it myself as most of the repair shops are backed up.

Its probably not side load, but as Steelfish posted, it probably is just you not being used to the high speed for the (relatively) heavy spool and the drag assembly that is mounted on it. It makes it feel weird to someone used to the very light spools of a star drag reel.

StuPidaso

I've used lever drags for a while, even have the 30ld2. There's something going on with this one though. The other day while yo yoing a heavy jig felt like a 3 pound fish. That was with 12 lbs of drag at strike. There's no way I could get to 18 lbs.

steelfish

I had have that same "feeling" on others LD reels and always ended up changing pinion bearing and left side bearing, pretty odd problem on this reel, tho.

is the reel brand new or you get it used?
if is 2nd hand, there are plenty of possible problems, bad bearings from wrong use of the LD settings, bad configuration of the shaf benevilles, etc
The Baja Guy

StuPidaso

Yeah I got it second hand. It was bnib with no line and the factory oil still on it. Wondering if it was a blem or something like that.