Abu questions.

Started by Threegals, July 15, 2017, 03:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threegals

Two questions:
1.  What make an Abu 6500 scream when casting? Sound almost as if the clicker is engaged.
2.  Abu 6500, left side, level wind.  The nylon gears that turn the level wind gears, some are held in with a screw, some have c-clamps, other look as they have been pressed on, maybe snapped on.  Can you remove these and replace with a new gear?

Thank you for the advice and help.

fishhawk

Sounds like bearings to me??? Anyway the plastic gear youre talking about is the "cog" wheel., And yes they can be removed. Allan did a tutorial on these where he shows how to remove w/ utility knife.
Mark

nelz

If the cog is bad, that could be the cause of the noise. For the snap in cog you just pull it out / snap it in.

fishhawk

yea, if it's anywhere near as loud as a clicker it probably is cog wheel
Mark

Threegals

Thanks, that should do it. Thought that was my problem. Have the new cog and will try the tool out in my repair. Con

johndtuttle

Quote from: Threegals on July 15, 2017, 08:56:35 PM
Thanks, that should do it. Thought that was my problem. Have the new cog and will try the tool out in my repair. Con

As well, sometimes the brakes can "howl"...need to clean their raceway with some light oil like corrosion-x. The brakes then rub off the excess.

fishhawk

Forgot about brakes! I agree with John! I have heard screams that came from bad (dirty brakes) more so than from a cog. Most problems with those reels is from being dirty.
Mark

Benni3

My friend needs some parts for a 6500 cl3,,,,do you just ordered them from abu?

oc1

You can order from ABU Service Center or Mike's Reel Repair or ebay or a half-dozen other parts dealers on line.  It's best to start by finding a schematic that matches your model exactly.  Mike's and other places have the schematics on line too.  You may only need an idler gear or LW pawl or worm or carriage but sometimes it's hard to know which one is hanging up the LW.  The trick is to make sure you get all the parts you need the first time without buying parts you do not need.  Dad's Ole Tackle has some upgrade kits that might interest you
-steve

Marcq

I have dealt with Jerry many times, great guy that likes to talk, don't hesitate to call him or check out his site
http://www.hookless.com/

Marc..

handi2

Buy from Jerry shown above. Great prices and fast shipping.

All of the upgrades needed are there also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Thanks very much guys,,,,,Keith I need some pics of that jigging master in action  ;D