penn senator 10/0 model

Started by Donnyboat, August 14, 2017, 12:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, hope your all keeping well, I need some help with a senator 10/0, I just received a penn senator 10/0 reel, I am a little confused with the model and a few other things, as with the picture I have included the handle, that may help to determine the model, the back face plate has a roller bearing, very small like the bearing in the front plate, the bearing in the back plate does not have a spring with it, or the extra thread to adjust the spoon tencion, like most senators I have seen, is this common with the 10/0 senators, also the chrome/ brass rings need replacing, I thought I read in the senator tutorial some where that some one make sain less steel rings, can any one tell me who this is, with there contact number, or email contact thanks, I will also need some keyed & eared drag washers if anyone sells them for 10/0 reels, I will also need metal drag washers for a 9/0, and a black 114, 6/0 reel,I don't mind cutting my own cf washer, thanks and cheers Don.

[url][/url]
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Try Mystic Reel Parts (MysticParts). They also have the shims for the spool If needed.  You have the later style 10/0 before it was discontinued. The earlier style had bushings instead of ball bearings.        Rudy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

akfish

When you get the rings, I'll bet anything that you'll need to Dremel down the edges of the side plates. The rings break most often when the side plate swells -- which is likely why yours needed replacement. Shaving down the side plates isn't hard but it can be time consuming...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Army_of_One

The two posters above are spot on.  mysticparts.com should have everything you need.  You can look for most of what you are requesting under the 12/0 as well.  akfish makes a good point on the side plates.  I would test them before putting grease on.  I took a file and rotated the plate on end to gradually grind down the two rounded contact points.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Another day in Paradise!

Donnyboat

Good thanks everyone, I am learning all the time, some good point there, thanks again, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

I had a stroke of luck today, I was about to order some rings for the 10/0, and I see one for sale for AU $50.00, I ring the man, he tells me the rings in his, are good should cleen up okay, the front face plate has a hole in it where the bearing is supposed to be, so I will have a cheep reel for parts, I may have a go, at re building the face plate with the Techni glue that I have mentioned before, if I do I will try to get photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Army_of_One

You might be able to just get a new bearing for your new one.
Another day in Paradise!

sdlehr

Donny, no one makes stainless rings for this reel. You didn't say why you had to replace the rings, was it from corrosion, or were they actually split? The answers above referring to filing the plates assume the rings had cracked from plate expansion, but you didn't say why you have to replace the rings. If they weren't cracked there's a good chance you won't have to do any filing....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Donnyboat

okay Sid, the old rings are broken, at quite a few screw holes, what a drama I am having with my purchaces, turns out the second 10/0 I thought I brought yesterday, is actually a 14/0 not a 10/0, so now I am in the market for 4 rings for a 10/0 & 1 face plate for a 14/0 or I try to restore the front face plate on the 14/0, I will have to scratch my head for a few days ay ?, Ha Har, well I can still laugh, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

sdlehr

Donny, if you want help restoring the faceplate you can send it to me if you think it won't be prohibitively expensive. I've done a few, post pics if interested....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Wow Don,
That means you picked up the 14/0 for $40 US dollars. That is a steal, even if the face plate is broken.
Personally, I wouldn't try to mend it. They usually break around the bearing.
This reel is the 2nd Biggest Senator and I wouldn't trust a repair on the plate.
It is so Heavy, I would be afraid it would fail under stress. JMO
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Thanks Sid, it will be a week or 2 before I get the 14/0, I will try to post pictures here, so every one can learn something, I like the Techni glue, as a epoxy, it does`nt run as much as the areldite, not sure if I spelt that correct,?, but, yes Daron, it is a steel, I thought I was getting another 10/0, but a 14/0 for that price, is great, even if I have to get a new plate for it, only trouble is, this senator thing, is getting to me a bit, the wife is starting to look @ me side ways, if anyone has a spear, 14/0 with a good face plate, I would be happy to pay good dollar for it, the postage to Australia, would be about, AU $40, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tightlines667

Quote from: Donnyboat on August 18, 2017, 03:50:32 AM
okay Sid, the old rings are broken, at quite a few screw holes, what a drama I am having with my purchaces, turns out the second 10/0 I thought I brought yesterday, is actually a 14/0 not a 10/0, so now I am in the market for 4 rings for a 10/0 & 1 face plate for a 14/0 or I try to restore the front face plate on the 14/0, I will have to scratch my head for a few days ay ?, Ha Har, well I can still laugh, cheers Don

and so it begins

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.