Red Ambassadeur 5000

Started by FishDad, August 08, 2017, 11:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

Guys, I need some help. I am reassembling an Ambassadeur 5000 (foot # 047200 - so I think it's a 1972 model) after cleaning. I am having trouble with "C" clips, (seems like I may have heard them called circlips ?) that go on either side of the spool bearing on the left side. I think I'm going crazy, because these are the clips that came out of it, but now they seem too small. I can get 'em back in the groove with no problem, but they will not stay....I can easily shake 'em out. Has anyone else had trouble with these things? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis 

Marcq

Quote from: FishDad on August 08, 2017, 11:26:56 PM
Guys, I need some help. I am reassembling an Ambassadeur 5000 (foot # 047200 - so I think it's a 1972 model) after cleaning. I am having trouble with "C" clips, (seems like I may have heard them called circlips ?) that go on either side of the spool bearing on the left side. I think I'm going crazy, because these are the clips that came out of it, but now they seem too small. I can get 'em back in the groove with no problem, but they will not stay....I can easily shake 'em out. Has anyone else had trouble with these things? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis 
That's what I would do, spread them out a little  with your C clip tool, heat/cool them up  while keeping them spread, re install

Marc..

FishDad

Great idea Marc....I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks for your quick reply.

Dennis

oc1

You mean c-clpis on the spool shaft?  I don't remember seeing c-clips on either side of the left spool bearing.  Don't see them on schematics either.  I have a four-screw 5000 and will open it to look tomorrow, but there shouldn't be any reason to have them there if the cast control knob is working.
-steve

Marcq

Quote from: oc1 on August 09, 2017, 07:34:26 AM
You mean c-clpis on the spool shaft?  I don't remember seeing c-clips on either side of the left spool bearing.  Don't see them on schematics either.  I have a four-screw 5000 and will open it to look tomorrow, but there shouldn't be any reason to have them there if the cast control knob is working.
-steve
He means the C clip that holds the bearings in place

Marc..

oc1

Thanks Marc.  A C-clip instead of the pentagonal wire clip.
-steve

fishhawk

Bearings or bushings? can't recall any of my ambassadeurs having wire clips on both sides of bearing r bushing just 1 side but I can't remember squat anymore

Marcq

Quote from: fishhawk on August 10, 2017, 02:41:43 AM
Bearings or bushings? can't recall any of my ambassadeurs having wire clips on both sides of bearing r bushing just 1 side but I can't remember squat anymore

Could be bushings or donut shape bearings

Marc..

FishDad

Thanks for all your replies. They are actually brass(?) bushings, but I think Ambassadeur calls 'em bearings, & Marc is absolutely correct. They are the C-clips that hold the spool "bearing" in place. EreplacementParts does not show them available, shows a mod kit with the pentagonal wire clip.

This is my brother-in-law's reel, & he wants to keep it as original as possible. So, I'm gonna try the heating/cooling method Marc mentioned. Marc, do you cool them immediately in water, or let them cool naturally?

Dennis

Marcq

Quote from: FishDad on August 10, 2017, 08:06:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. They are actually brass(?) bushings, but I think Ambassadeur calls 'em bearings, & Marc is absolutely correct. They are the C-clips that hold the spool "bearing" in place. EreplacementParts does not show them available, shows a mod kit with the pentagonal wire clip.

This is my brother-in-law's reel, & he wants to keep it as original as possible. So, I'm gonna try the heating/cooling method Marc mentioned. Marc, do you cool them immediately in water, or let them cool naturally?

Dennis

Cool it right away in water, but like I said just spread them a little you don't want to distort them

Marc..

FishDad

Ok....thanks for all your expertise Marc, I really appreciate it. Gonna do it this afternoon, unless of course, I decide to go fishing LOL.

Dennis