Any idea's whats causing this problem?

Started by STRIPER LOU, August 03, 2017, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi All, quite some time ago I put the purple squidder together and had some working problems and just didn't have the time to get to it.

Fast forward and working on it now, It has Accurate plates, plus a Tib frame and spool.

The problem is about every 1/3 rotation of the spool, I can feel a bump. Not a drag, just a bump. Doesn't change when flipping the reel from one side to the other. Drag has no effect on it either.

Pulling the reel down I started to check some of the obvious things, bridge screw too long, nope, checked pinion on the spool shaft, slides on shaft and engages easily, nothing seems to be bottoming out anywhere.

Went ahead and replaced the yoke, springs, and jack plate. Tabs on the jack plate check out to be even, broke the edges a bit and replaced the eccentric spring. 20-155 is the replacement but Scotts has 20-113h2 as a working alternative.
It has an extra coil but it seems to work fine. The jack plate has the full movement as it should and looking at it shows it does engage and disengage the full travel it is suppose too.

The only things out of the ordinary are the h2 eccentric spring, using Max's lever, and the screws have been replace with allen  heads. The spool centers up well, the allen screw heads could use a few thou off the diameter but I see nothing else. Am I overlooking the obvious?

Tried loosening the screws and racking the frame but my small brain tells me its and internal problem. I have not tried a stock 146L spool yet.

Any idea's or suggestions I might try. Usually when I end up having a problem its best to put it down for a while and have at it later again with a fresh perspective.

Tomorrow's another day!

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

foakes

Take the spool out, Lou -- if there is still a catch every 120 degrees -- it is internal, or an under pressure issue -- and not the spool.

If no catch, it may just be the spool rubbing somewhere.  Tolerances are tight on these -- don't need to tell you that -- but for others, it may be useful.

As you said, try a stock spool.

Your spool could either be improper, need an adjustment, or problematic under spring pressure.

You can also experiement with centering the spool to one side or the other just slightly -- using the spool bearing screw adjusters.

Good luck, and let us know your progress.

Others may have better solutions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 03, 2017, 06:30:44 PM
The problem is about every 1/3 rotation of the spool, I can feel a bump. Not a drag, just a bump. Doesn't change when flipping the reel from one side to the other. Drag has no effect on it either.

I'm not a pro, but have to take a guess, if you don't mind. ;D  It's a 1/3 rotation of the spool, not the handle?  If the handle, a bad tooth on the pinion gear?   

Shark Hunter

First thing I would check would be the gears with a magnifying glass.
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Thanks so far for the advice. I didn't check the gears as they were marked NOS on the bag and I've had them a long time. A quick eyeball on them and they looked good.

I should know better then to assume!!!!

Fred, did try it without the spool and all OK. It shows up when the reel is together and has the light load of the spool. Pinion makes sense and will check later. If it is the gear train, it will probably be the first set of bad penn gears Ive ever had.

Will let you know.

Thanks All,  ..  Lou

Gfish

Last tib. spool I used had me thinkin it was bumpin on the head-plate side( male spool section bumpin the female pinion part), but it was the ratchet area on the tail-plate side. You know how the tib. Spools 'er welded there---the weld was rubbin on the outside a the bearing, 'till I did what Tom(C.C.) suggested in the literature, and installed the tiny washer he included with the frame kit. Placed the washer on the spool shaft which covered up the uneven area, top a the rachet. He even mentioned that the washer might be needed for tib. spools.
These type a issues are interesting, let us know when you find it.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

fishhawk

Quote from: Gfish on August 03, 2017, 11:59:04 PM
Last tib. spool I used had me thinkin it was bumpin on the head-plate side( male spool section bumpin the female pinion part), but it was the ratchet area on the tail-plate side. You know how the tib. Spools 'er welded there---the weld was rubbin on the outside a the bearing, 'till I did what Tom(C.C.) suggested in the literature, and installed the tiny washer he included with the frame kit. Placed the washer on the spool shaft which covered up the uneven area, top a the rachet. He even mentioned that the washer might be needed for tib. spools.
These type a issues are interesting, let us know when you find it.
Gfish

It's already helped me! I was having same problem w/ tib spools on accurate plates.

STRIPER LOU

Good deal, another area to check. I think I have a washer and if so, I'll try it tomorrow morning.

Thanks,  ..  Lou

STRIPER LOU

Hi All, had a few minutes to play with it this morning and it is the spool. Tried Gfish's suggestion and shimmed the spool but no change. The stock 146L spool works perfectly.

As soon as I get a few moments its time to carefully measure both spools to see exactly what the difference is.

The shop has been insanely crazy with spooling line. Wire, braid, and mono has been flying out the door. Funny thing is most people don't want to bother with backing these days, just respool the whole reel. I myself always use suitable backing to save myself a few bucks. Go figure!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, ... Its appreciated!

....................Lou

Gfish

Lou, any measurement results yet? I had a Penn with a wobbly spool(got bent from some kinda force that broke the sideplate), but I couldn't tell, thinkin it hadda be the frame, until I caliper-measured around the whole circumference. It looked ok and rolled by itself on a flat surface so smooth lookin...Didn't have rub marks on it either, but that's what it was doin.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!