Trinidad 30 gold repair

Started by d510addict, July 31, 2021, 05:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d510addict

Good morning,
What are my best/any options for repairing a broken knob/handle on a Trinidad 30 Gold?

foakes

You could get one of the Boss'es (Alan Tani) custom and upgraded Offset T-Bar cranks..

Just drill out the attachment hole — and the new handle will just work perfectly.

Plus, it will be a major improvement both functionally and attractively.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

d510addict

Hmm...I don't know if that would be idea. This is used for Surf casting so keeping it smaller would be best ( I should have mentioned this in the post).

foakes

In that case, Pro Challenger, on our site has these round guys.

The other photo shows Alan's.

Both top quality at very fair pricing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

About $50 on ebay  for a brand new one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

d510addict

I'll message him. Thank you for the suggestions.

alantani

is the screw at the top still intact.  does the top of the post look good?  or did it rust and rip out?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

It looks like the bearings corroded out and allow the handle to pull out like that. Open the top cap and unscrew then handle screw.  If the screw and shaft is intact, replace
The bearings and it'll feel as good as new.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

d510addict

Ok. I received the reel from my buddy finally
Bearings in the knob are SOL. Turns out he has never cleaned this reel in 5 years of surf casting for Surf Perch in Oregon. Plenty of dunks and all he does is soak in a bucket of fresh water amd puts oil (what appears to be motor oil) through the drain/breather holes. This is also a TN 14 reel, not a 30 as he originally told me. I want to replace all bearings in the reel as they are all in some degree of corrosion.  I need 2 side plate bearings where the fixed spool fits. I need IAR as it is soaked in oil as well as the bearing thst sat on top of the IAR, knob bearings AND new drag washers...probably smooth drags. I am an utter noob at deciphering these websites. I was looking on Smoothdrag for all of these, but I domt honestly know what exact model this is...I see alot of stuff for a 14A, but don't know if these are the same things.

d510addict

A quick shot of what I saw while opening the reel.

sabaman1

Looks like the first generation Trinidad 14 if its gold colored.  Measure your bearings and you can either try to order from Dawn at smooothdrag , VXB bearings or Boca bearings. Regular stainless bearings with stainless or removable bearings should do just fine. Dawn should have the drag washers also.
Oh and be careful you dont lose the little keeper pin down inside the main gear shaft.
JIM

Swami805

Pretty sure I've gotten bearings from smooth drag, maybe not anti reverse one.  When you take off the drag star there's a little spring loaded pin in the gear sleeve that goes popping out is what sabaman1 is taking about.  It will go into low earth orbit
Do what you can with that you have where you are

d510addict

Luckily I saw that spring and pen. Should be fun putting it back it. I texted Smoothdrag about bearings...will call earlier tomorrow as they didn't answer the phone this afternoon.

d510addict

I have another issue....The outside bearing for the handle was disintegrated and had to order it from Dawn based off of what she could find for specs. But it's the wrong bearing. Does anyone have the exact specs for the 2 bearings in the handle?

alantani

i might have that handle grip.  are the threads at the top of the post still intact?  send me a pm with your cell # and i will call or text you when i get home. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!