Penn side plates matte or gloss

Started by jnd1959, August 03, 2017, 08:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnd1959

I have two Penn Longbeach 66 reels that I am restoring.  Originally I thought the side pates were just weathered and could be restored to a gloss finish like my 350.  Were these originally a matte finish?  I'm thinking of powder coating the spools and rings (either chrome or black for the spool and chrome or gold for the rings) as they are all pretty weathered so I'm not necessarily looking to keep them stock.  If they are matte finish, will bakelite smooth out with successive sandings?  I've restored fiberglass boats and am used to that process to bring things to a gloss finish.  I just didn't want to ruin a side plate trying to do something that won't happen. 

Thanks for the help. 

sdlehr

The Long Beach had a long run. There were multiple sideplate variations over the years, but all were made of Bakelite and could be sanded smooth; I have done so with Bakelite. I presume you don't have any picture plates :) Penn did use a finish other than smooth on some reels, not the Long Beaches, I don't remember what they called that finish at the moment.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

jnd1959

Thanks Sid. I don't have the picture plates so the only trouble area will be the Penn logo area.

STRIPER LOU

In the Penn logo area I use a dremel at lower speed with a 3/8 or 1/2 in soft polishing brush along with semichrome polish. You may get a small bit of rounding on the letters but if you let the brush do the work and don't push it the results are very good.

...............Lou

mizmo67

Quote from: sdlehr on August 05, 2017, 04:13:22 AM
Penn did use a finish other than smooth on some reels, not the Long Beaches, I don't remember what they called that finish at the moment.

It was kind of pebbly in texture? I'm not sure that they called it, either.
Maybe Mike C. will chime in? I'm sure he knows!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

foakes

Think it may have been called a "stippled finish" ? -- think I may have a few of those old new ones for the 79 Seamates.

If we are talking about the same thing, I have many of the older 85, 285, 180 -- with these plates.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jnd1959

Thanks to all. I'll see how well I can polish these.

Bill B

If you could posy before and after pictures it would be greatly appreciated....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

I mentioned to a member that I was going to give Simichrome Polishing paste a try and he sent two tubes over, thanks again Brett.
Here are my results on some faded 259 plates.
Before:

After:

You could actually sand the plates to remove marks and they will still come out shiny, I'm very happy with the Simichrome
paste.
Sid, thanks for suggesting it...good stuff.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jnd1959

I have before pictures and will post after I'm finished.  I've wet sanded from 600 up to 2000 and then used rubbing compound. I know the plate is smoother because the water beads instead of pools.  I've tried different cutting pastes but these seem to have a negative effect on the plastic.  I think I will try that semichrome paste. Based on your results Sal, it either is fine enough to get the grain to reflect evenly or has properties that allow it to not soak into the plastic and disappear.  Those look good.