Help needed on trolling setup.

Started by JA_Angler, October 20, 2013, 09:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA_Angler

Hello guys. Need some help figuring out missing reels in my setup. I already have my inshore setup complete (Penn 113h, Daiwa 450h, Fin-nor OFS9500 big spinner, Shimano 14000FA spinner, Penn 114h). My problem is that my offshore setup so far is only a Daiwa 900h with Tani drag kit.  I may double-duty the 114h but wish to add 2 80lb rigs and want the reels to be lever drags, I think. Also, not sure if I will need 2-speed reels. I have no experience with huge fish (my biggest was a 40lb wahoo on the 114h). I have seen 500lb+ marlin caught in my area (Jamaica offshore) and 80lb wahoo.
What do u guys think? Is there a strong advantage to using the lever drag reels over star like the 900h/115L? Is 2-speed a definite advantage over single speed? I only fish 3 lines and like to troll quickly (10-15kts) with large plugs, jets and Moldcraft Wide Range lures. Line test will be 80lb straight mono and reel should hold 500yd. My budget 300 max for reel itself. I plan to use Pinnacle Marine's trolling rods (great quality at reasonable prices).

Kent from Jamaica.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Honestly if that's the way you want it, then stick with 12/0 senators. If you can splurge a little, find some used penn international 80Ws. You'd do good with a set of international 50W second gen with 600yds of 130 braid to 100lb mono
Grayson Lanier