Field Testing with Friends

Started by gstours, August 15, 2017, 02:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Last week I got a chance to enjoy some sunny southeast weather and fish for halibut with some faces you may recognize.
   We used one of Sals narrow tanks, a Tib framed narrow 4/0 and the Yellowtail special.  At first the fish were small and scarce butt!

We hooked some that were too big and released them.  ??? kept trying!

Finally things seem to be more in our favor ;)

We had some more work to do now it seemed! :-\

Somebody said its all well when it ends well,  They might have fished before?   Butt True! :D

The sun was out and we had a great time.   The hotrod reels got a workout,  we got fish,  we got tired.   Life is Good. 8)

gstours

Another snaffue?  me or photobucket?  ???  another duplicate photo.  should have been this or?  Sorry   gst. :-*

or here is an alternate pik.

and a pik of one big mama we released. ;)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Could you please post some pics of your boat & give some history on it ?  How you came about it ? What you like most about it ? etc. & etc.... I love aluminum boats. Well I like all boats.... wood boats, fiberglass boats sailboats not so much.... Please tell about your boat.... Jeff.

gstours

Thanks for the boat request.   Its a long story.   I,ll work on it! :-*
        The boat is aluminum and started its life as a WorkSkiff made in Seattle Area.    I will post mre asap.    Its fishing (busy0   fun) season n i,m swamped butt not sinking! ;D    gst.

Stick around for more stories!!!!! :-*

Alto Mare

I heard a little about it already and interested in hearing some more.  You are an amazing man Gary.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

I'm looking very forward to seeing pics & hearing more about this boat. Ive been interested in knowing more since the first time I seen it in your posts...Jeff

Bryan Young

I'm sorry but I could not help to but to see that the fish is proportionate to the size of the angler. ;D ;D ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gstours

The boat in the story with most of my pictures is just another boat.   Well Hardly! ;)
  I bought it from a guy in Petersburg, and it was a T top 19 ft Workskiff.  It was a Project boat from the start.   I could not afford, nor find a boat that was suitable for my use so I decided to modify an already good boat and make it better.   It was 7ft wide and 1/4 inch aluminum sides and bottom.  Quite a Tank and perfect for lengthening.  So I cut off the transom, added 4 feet to the sides and bottom, built a new transom and added a bracket extension to the transom to install the motor on.    A new cabin was built typical of runabout boats from aluminum and I put in the glass and fab,d a sliding door that works great. A motor well was built into the transom to put the kicker motor within easy reach for improved operation.   The kicker is electric tilt/start and is connected to the main boat steering for crappy weather operation from the helm.  Kicker Throttle is electronic with digital readout and at the helm.
  The Fuel tank was built by me and in the floor/belly.  The decking is diamond plate alum and watertite.  a gutter is in the rear floor/transom area and keeps all deck water from sloshing in the corners typical problems of non bailing boats.  The honda 6 hp aux engine is used to pump hydrolic fluid for the davit and sheave to pull pots or an anchor.  A Maxwell electric windlass is used to pull anchor generally at the bow.
     The engine is the 3rd to power my boat and 225 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.  The kicker is an 8hp yam.  Electronics are Furuno radar,depthfinder, and gps.  I like Icom radios.  A Dickensen Newport stove oil heater heats the cabin and tasty welcomed snacks/meals.  The steering is hydrolic Seastar.   This boat works great for what I do here.  I built it myself and i,m not proud.   Just Satisfied. :-*
     I hope this post is ok here for temporary viewing,  ??? If it need to be moved feel free.   I,m no geek.

gstours

Also you can see some pictures of the boat (Maiko)  on the pictures place on this forum,  before the For Sale and in the Fishing Section (Wayne,s and Dominicks  recent Trip)  Thanks for more questions,? ???      gst.

Steve-O

i knew the boat was one of kind from the pics. Especially all that front glass and viewing area.

Didn't know you built it though, Gary. Well done!

When I was fishing Icy Straits, I had one of the local lodge Stabicraft console boats. Very smooth and stable, but wet in weather.

i'm sure you've seen more of those Lodge boats buzzing around than you can stand. ::)

Anyway thanks for sharing the details of you mighty fishing machine/cabin on the water.

BTW - did you install a head? or a bed? seems like the only two items not covered.

Dominick

I witnessed first hand the workmanship of this remarkable guy.  Gary talks about cutting and expanding the boat.  I had a conversation with Gary about the origin of the boat and he told me the story in his post.  After hearing the story I looked at the whole project from a purely objective view of the workmanship.  I could not find any flaws in Gary's work.  The welded seams were perfect.  There were add-ons like a diamond plate step to climb into the boat.  The motor is mounted on a separate motor mount like one sees in Grady White boats.  The cabin as Steve noticed is bright and there is plenty of window space for a wrap around view.  Gary has some serious talent and is one heck of a story teller.  We sat around on his boat and told the usual fishing lies.  Gary had some great stories.  His wife Mary Jo was as gracious as one could be.  She made us feel like we were family.  Then it hit me that we are part of the Ohana family.  Here is a video of Gary giving us filet lessons.  Oh did I say Gary was smart?  He gave us filleting instructions so that he didn't have to do the work.  ;D  That is intelligence.   ::) I also have a video of the boat in motion.  I'll post it after I up load it to Youtube.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Dominick. The Video is labeled private?
It sure was good to see you three in all those great pics catching those giant Butts!
Hats off to You, Wayne and Gary.
It was like I was there. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Daron it shouldn't be labeled private.  Does that mean you could not view it?  Here is the video of the boat that I promised.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.