Zebco Cardinal 3 spinning reel

Started by lifeofRiley, August 03, 2017, 05:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Everything comes full circle, Tommy --

Not a concern...

The boxes didn't cost me a dime -- and I am not a collector or a hoarder -- just a reel mechanic who enjoys the craft and helping folks out when possible.

Just having fun by not taking my hobby too seriously -- patience and balance.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 11, 2017, 04:21:38 PM

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Best,

Fred

Same here  8)......It's only money & last I heard hearses don't pull U-HAULs.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 11, 2017, 04:43:34 PM
Quote from: foakes on August 11, 2017, 04:21:38 PM

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Best,

Fred

Same here  8)......It's only money & last I heard hearses don't pull U-HAULs.  ;D

Might take a couple of semi trucks for your collection, Tommy!

Best,

Free
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

lifeofRiley

Is there a certain tool that works best to remove the retaining ring that seats on top of the bearing in the reel body on these reels? I got one out using a small needle nose pliers, but moving on to the second reel I'm not having much luck. I can compress the ring but when I try to lift it out the pliers slips off.

Fred, I sent you a PM but nothing shows in my outbox. I hope you got it.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

foakes

Hi Marty --

Got your PM.

The wrench is in the bubble envelope -- already addressed to you -- and will be dropped off in the mail either Monday or Tuesday, depending on my schedule of appointments and repairs.

On the other tool -- just pick up a pair of snap ring pliers from HF with 3 or 4 change-out heads.

I bought these possibly 20 years ago -- promising myself that I would replace them with a better pair down the road.  Never needed to replace them -- they work so well.

They get used about 15 or 20 times a week -- might have cost $10?

They are needed on some of the older vintage quality reels -- like Quicks, Cardinals, ABUs, Shakes, etc...

We can all get by with a makeshift tool -- but the right tool is a pleasure to work with -- and does not damage the rings.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

lifeofRiley

Does anyone know where I should look for parts on the Card. 3's? Drag washers and bail springs. Also have one with a broken part# 11113 Click Spring. I am done with 5 out of 10. I am getting a pretty good hang of them now and they are going a little faster. Thanks everyone for the tips given to help me along.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

reelrepair123

lifeofriley    there is a guy in ebay selling cardinal parts,  goes under      snapswivel (5111).     harryk

reelrepair123

lifeofriley    a  guy outwest, a real gentleman,   dolfi kalm     2219  hill dr.  n.e.     solon  IA    52333        319   321-5042   .   harryk

Midway Tommy

Quote from: lifeofRiley on August 13, 2017, 11:06:10 PM
Does anyone know where I should look for parts on the Card. 3's? Drag washers and bail springs. Also have one with a broken part# 11113 Click Spring. I am done with 5 out of 10. I am getting a pretty good hang of them now and they are going a little faster. Thanks everyone for the tips given to help me along.

Check eBay. There are a couple of guys that list Cardinal parts every now and then. They can be tough to come by so patience is the key. If they're not listed now they may be listed in a month or so. Click springs are hard to come by. Your best bet is to pick up the right diameter SS wire at a hardware or craft store. Once cut & installed it needs to be crimped where it fits into the 2 holes on the side plate, otherwise it will just slide out.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)