Need AMBASSADEUR Help - PLEASE !

Started by ez2cdave, August 20, 2017, 06:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

I am not knowledgable about Abu Ambassadeur reels . . . I have some questions about the various models of "10000" series reels.

I have seen models listed as 10000, 10000C, 10000CA, 10000CL, 10000CT, and "TEN".

It appears that some are 2-Speed, while others are Single Speed. One model is a Levelwind ( the "CL", I think ).

Some appear to be "genuine" Swedish reels, "semi-genuine" Swedish reels that are "assembled" in Sweden from outsourced parts, and outright, "non-genuine" Swedish from completely Asian origins.

There appear to be both "round-bar" and "flat-bar" style frames. as well.

WIth all that said, I am interested in the following :

(1) Non-Levelwind

(2) Strongest design

(3) Most reliable and best quality

(4) Years of production for the different models and how to identify them

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tight Lines !

akfish

You'll be OK with any model you choose along as it is one that was made in Sweden. The current 10000BG versions were made in China and are just not very good reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ez2cdave

Quote from: akfish on August 20, 2017, 07:01:32 PM
You'll be OK with any model you choose along as it is one that was made in Sweden. The current 10000BG versions were made in China and are just not very good reels.

Thanks !

What is the difference between the 10000C and the 10000CA ?   

Are the flat-bar models better than the thin round-bar models ?

Tight Lines !

redsetta

QuoteYou'll be OK with any model you choose along as it is one that was made in Sweden.
You can't go wrong with AK's advice.
There's a degree of alchemy to these designations but, as far as I'm aware (and I'm very open to correction), the 'C' denotes bearings rather than sintered bronze bushings and the 'L' denotes 'level-wind'.
I've heard it suggested that the 'CA' suffix relates to the end of the 10000 production run (and, potentially, the high-point of its development) and 'TEN' was a budget (yet rugged) version, with bushings rather than bearings...
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

tholmes

Typically (in ABUspeak), an "A" behind a model number refers to a reel with a higher capacity spool.  I don't know if that's the case with the 10000 models, though.

Tom

ez2cdave

Quote from: tholmes on August 23, 2017, 08:14:53 PM
Typically (in ABUspeak), an "A" behind a model number refers to a reel with a higher capacity spool.  I don't know if that's the case with the 10000 models, though.

Tom

Thanks, Tom . . . I'm not sure either. The spools all appear to be identical, regardless of model.

Tight Lines !