Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Since we are here throwing around obscure spinning reels, a member over on the Vintage Penn Reels Facebook page put a post up asking if anyone could identify this spinning reel. There is no response, does anyone here have any idea who may have made this reel? It looks like it is built like a tank.

The owner did say it is a large reel, like the size of a Penn 950SS.

Midway Tommy

Mike,

Better photos and any possible markings that might give a hint to country of origin would sure help. It looks like a full bail, and if so would put it post '52. My first thought was PMR by A.M.R if it has any French evidence. A.M.R made a lot of reels for a lot of different distributors, many of which were big & clunky.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I saw that protrusion out of the rear end and thought it had to be a Centaure or Sagarra.  Can't match it with any photos though.
-steve

Penn Chronology

I know this is tough. If the reel were mine I would add more photo but I am just trying to help someone on Facebook ID his reel. All thoughts and speculation are appreciated.

Midway Tommy

I picked up a neat little 36" high lighted curio display cabinet awhile back at Good Will down the road for $25. I decided I would display my Italian made spinning reels in it. I had a few displayed in a lawyers book case, but the rest were cleaned & serviced and stored in a tote because I had no place to display them. I decided the last few days it was time to get them organized and put in the cabinet. I thought I would take a couple of photos of them out in the open before I put them in the cabinet.

Most were made by Zangi, but not all. From left to right.

Bottom Row: Ted Williams 550, Ted Williams 450, Ted Williams 350, Pescador 500, Pescador, 400, Pescador 300, Sears 300, Sears Spinning Reel 391-38250
Second Row: Ted Williams 510, Ted Williams 410, Ted Williams 310, Ted Williams 500, Ted Williams 400, Ted Williams 300, True Temper True Spin 322, Spem Velox
Third Row: Orvis 150A, Orvis 100, Orvis 100, Pelican 100, Orvis 50A, Alcedo Erie 2CS, Alcedo Micron, Cargem Mignon33, Cargem Silverfish 402
Top Row: Old Pal Jaguar 800, Old Pal Cougar 600, Old Pal Cougar 600, Trade Winds, Inc. Spin-in Royal 585, A.P.M. Agal, Minerva, Cargem 404 
(Note: The 2 boxed Cargems have never had their bag seals broken open) :o I've got boxes for a couple of the others but didn't have room in the photo for them.

All but the Agal, Spin-in Royal, Minerva, & Spem Velox are pinion worm gear driven.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Unbelievable Tommy.  You mean to say that you have so many reels that they are sorted by country?  Where are the Japanese and French sections?
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on April 19, 2020, 07:14:23 AM
Unbelievable Tommy.  You mean to say that you have so many reels that they are sorted by country?  Where are the Japanese and French sections?
-steve

Pretty much, and/or maker. There's a couple dozen more Italian made reels that aren't in the group because they haven't been cleaned & serviced yet. Fifteen or so Ofmers, plus Netuno,Trio, etc.

I've never really focused or concentrated on Japanese or other Asian made reels other than the ABU Garcia fulcrum drags. I have a dozen or twenty various Japanese examples I've accumulated over the years from lots. I've got a bunch of French (50 +-) and German (45+-) made reels, most of which I haven't gotten to and are still in totes. I'll get to them one of these days, if I live long enough and the Wuhan Chinese Virus doesn't get me first.  :D  My wife is starting to feel like the display cabinets are taking over our family room.   ::)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Tommy, beautiful display.  Heard you had a little spring snow the last couple of days, & maybe that freed up some time to poke thru the totes.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on April 20, 2020, 02:35:02 AM
Tommy, beautiful display.  Heard you had a little spring snow the last couple of days, & maybe that freed up some time to poke thru the totes.

Frank

Just 8" Thursday PM.  :o It's all gone & I mowed the yard today.   8)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Riy2018

Quote from: Gfish on June 09, 2019, 01:06:43 AM
The ossilation system. Simple: a knob on the main gear that actuates a brass ossilator, a nice little brass roller behind that and then there's a modified screw in the spool shaft.
good day Im unable to remove the top of the reel from black part. Could you please post photos.
Thank you

Gfish

Sorry, I just saw your post. So, you have this reel, aye? Do you mean the side-plate (which is black colored)? Or, do you mean the rotor removed from the round gear box? Please clarify.
The reel is on the mainland now and I'm home in Hawaii, though I'm wishin I could go back for a visit. La Ninja weather patterns have eliminated our trade winds and it's a bit of a moldy steam bath here for the last 2 months.
Will check for more pictures in my file if you can narrow down the question.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Riy2018

Quote from: Gfish on October 18, 2020, 05:49:21 PM
Sorry, I just saw your post. So, you have this reel, aye? Do you mean the side-plate (which is black colored)? Or, do you mean the rotor removed from the round gear box? Please clarify.
The reel is on the mainland now and I'm home in Hawaii, though I'm wishin I could go back for a visit. La Ninja weather patterns have eliminated our trade winds and it's a bit of a moldy steam bath here for the last 2 months.
Will check for more pictures in my file if you can narrow down the question.
Good Day,
I got one from flea market in good condition, after cleaning it is still stiffer. I has old grease dried inside.
I cant find way to rotor remove from the round gear box.
please advise.

Bill B

If you could post a picture or your reel I'm sure we can help out.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Ok, I think I gotcha. Go back to page 16, post# 234, last picture. The rotor is, I believe, rivited onto the pinion gear and is not removable(check out that propeller lookin bail trip part), at least I could'nt do it. Let us know though, there are some older spinner gurus here.

We're with you Riy2018. I hope there's a bit of Sal in me now. He never seemed to give-up easily when it came to helping others. I think there's a post of his on page 17 about that reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Riy2018 on October 18, 2020, 07:33:08 PM

Good Day,
I got one from flea market in good condition, after cleaning it is still stiffer. I has old grease dried inside.
I cant find way to rotor remove from the round gear box.
please advise.

The bail trip & tube is pressed into the body and can only be driven out with a special off-set driver. Unless you have that special tool there is no no way to remove it and separate rotor from the body. Thoroughly clean the pinion gear and in between the body and rotor with degreaser, a narrow bristle brush and then soap & water. If you are patient and thorough, soaking and blowing the area between the spool cup and main body with compressed air will clean out that area sufficiently.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE