Workbench/storage Expansion

Started by Tightlines667, January 11, 2016, 06:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotone

Like Tarfu I use the tempered hard brd with dbl sided tape. When front side gets worn or nasty I rotate it to the back. I get four uses when it's flipped over and rotated again.

Sometime I would like to try the laminated surface, for the ease of clean up  (for the not so messy reel work I'm in the house at the kitchen table....ha and she doesn't mind).

Nice set up guys.
twotone

Jeri

Hi All,

The reason we use the laminated worktops, is that they are so easy to clean, even of dried resin. We get drips coming off the rods when we heat out the bubbles - leave it to dry, then simply chip them off with an old craft knife blade. Clean out the workshop once a week, and it looks super clean and efficient.

It is amazing how easy it is to work in a tidy environment.

Cheers

Jeri

Reel 224

First addition to my work station, the tool box

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Joe, that's a beauty. The only problem is you keep buying and adding tools. It gets expensive after a while.
Regards to you and Ruth,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

The tools I have, it's the organization I didn't have. :-[

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

exp2000

The "workshop" probably about 60% Rod and reel repair with the rest devoted to computer repairs and other paraphernalia. 
My place is pretty small so I have to think vertical. I built the bench and shelving many years ago.
I am always running out if room!

The bench top is solid stained ply finished with a tough polyurethane coat. There is a large rubber mat over the work area.
Drawers hold tools, lubricants and common spare parts inventory and rod pair gear.
There is a rod lathe stored vertically on the end wall which occupies the bench when it is free.

Opposite Wall:
Left: Incoming reel jobs in the stacked trays.
         Garage sale acquisitions- rods and reels which I repair as time allows for resale.
Centre: Mono and braid storage, various rod jobs and drying rack.
Right: Stacked drawers containing reel wrecks classified according to brand and type.

Don't go out onto the veranda. You might start to worry!
~

Reel 224

foakes

For my reel benches, I use 3/4" white Melamine -- it does come in various colors if you go to a professional cabinet shop or stock supplier -- not HD or Lowes.  Tough, lasts for 15 years (so far), and cleans up quickly.

For my wood working benches -- I have always used 1/4" hardboard.  Just build your base frame using 3/4" ply or MDX for a base.  Nail a 1X4 flush with the top of the ply or MDX -- just rough lay and tack with finishing nails countersunk slightly  the 1/4" hardboard.  Use a router with a 1/4" half round ball bering bit -- just follow the 1X4 around the edges of the bench -- and you will have a perfectly smooth and flush top edge.

I just treat with rubbed in boiled linseed oil -- probably reapply every 2 years.

Cheap, easy, and longlasting.

If I ever needed to replace the top -- it is super easy and cheap.  But have never needed to yet.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very nice set up exp2000 , the problem you'll have now is to keep it that way ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on January 24, 2016, 05:04:17 PM
3/4" white Melamine -- it does come in various colors if you go to a professional cabinet shop or stock supplier -- not HD or Lowes. 
Yes to HD http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melamine-White-Panel-Common-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-750-in-x-49-in-x-97-in-461877/100070209

Siid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

TheReelShop

steelfish

this thread is full of good ideas for the work bench

my work bench is a portable table with portable tool box (I still think is a hobby  :-\ ;D)) and I protect the table from the grease with a thick vinil cover and change it as need it, I can clean it 3-5 times before toss it.
but at my job there are many house contruction goods as kitchen melanine or tops that I could use like the ones show it here and they will work much better than my current setup for my mobile work shop, hopefully I could do the expasion to the house soon and get me a proper mancave, not in a short future, tho.

thanks guys.
The Baja Guy

gstours

Sorry, but I could not view any of the pictures?  must be a glitch?   have anybody else had this problem?    ???

Tiddlerbasher

The photos on page one have been hit by Photobucket - unless the OP re-hosts them they will remain 'invisible'. Alternatively use Chrome or Firefox as a browser - there are plugins for those that enable viewing of the photos - Internet Explorer won't work.