Monofil #25 spool

Started by Crow, September 01, 2017, 10:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hi, !
      I picked up a 25 Monofil a while back , off E bay, and just got around to looking it over, today. It has a plastic spool, and the spool*edges rub on the inside "metal rings"...on both sides, but the "handle end " is the worst. both bearings, as well as the ends of the shafts look fine, and  I chucked the spool shaft in the drill, and spun it...I see no *wobble* at all, so I doubt it is warped. Would it be feasible to lightly scrape a bit of material from the edges of the spool ?  It doesn't rub "hard" but hard enough to make a slight scraaping noise, and prevent easy "free spool". The reel had this condition when I got it, and I *thought* that after servicing it, all would be well...NOT....As an alternative, I suppose lightly filing the inside of the metal rings would do the same thing.                 Thanks !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Sounds more like the cage may be racked. Take apart the frame and assemble it again and see if you can get the frame straight. Could have been dropped or something and it's a little bent out of shape
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

That would work OK, Madsen --

If it were mine, before I filed anything --

I would makes sure the frame is squared up -- but not overtight.

Without taking the screws out -- just loosen them a half turn each -- make sure the head side bearing is snugged tight -- back off the tailplate side bearing with the spring a few turns -- then grasp each plate and torque them back and forth a bit to try and get them aligned better.  

This works about half of the time on the smaller Penns like Squidder Jrs, 180, 150, etc.

Tighten the screws carefully -- but not too tight -- just snug -- use a "star pattern" like you would when putting the lugnuts back on a vehicle wheel.

If this doesn't offer the clearance, and it still scrapes -- then try one or two very thin shims in the head side bearing cavity.  These can be delrin dots -- or just a couple of thin rounds made from an aluminum soda can.

Then adjust the tailplate side spool adjuster in a bit until the spool runs free without scraping.

If none of this works -- you may have a tweaked spider stand -- just enough to cause both sides to scrape slightly.

If you are confident that you have done all possible -- then you could just lightly run a file around the inside of the rings -- just enough to clear the spool though -- because you don't want the line to get caught in that gap.

Also, you could just switch out spools -- and see what that does.

However, before anything -- try to square up and realign the frame.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

If you do shim the bearings with something remember it might not ever come out. I would rather do what Fred has stated by working the frame and stand.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Doesn't sound as it would need a shim. If the rubbing is intermittent, the frame might be racked.
If the rubbing is continuous, just file the spool a little and you're set to go.
Don't use power tools, place sandpaper in one hand and turn the spool with the other, It doesn't take much.
Plastic spools vary in size, some are as much as .50mm larger on the O.D.
Metal spools are very close in dimensions.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

The first thing I usually do is replace the bushings.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

You can't beat experience !!  I checked the reel stand, by laying it *upside down* on the bench, and since it only had three of the "bosses" (that are drilled / tapped for the screws) touching the bench top....I deduced that it WAS sprung....a vise and a pair of pliers later, and reassembled.......the "rubbing" was MUCH less.....I see a *new* stand in my future, and , a WHOLE lot better free spool, too ! As it is now, with the straightened stand....and a bit of twisting...there is still slight "rub", and a bit of scraping would , probably, take care of it, but, I'll wait until I try an "unsprung" stand....and new bearings, as that might eliminate the total problem....Thanks again, Guys !!!.................Crow
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !