Daiwa slosh, Penn Mag 525.

Started by Rancanfish, September 25, 2017, 02:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Anybody own both that can offer an opinion on their preferred choice to actually use?

I own the 525 mag kinda by accident, but am impressed with the drags.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

I think the Mag throws a little better; it is my go-to unless big drum fishing in which case I go to 980. However, I do have two SLOSH 20's that would be my number 3 and 3.a.

alantani

i'll bet if you close your eyes and just cranked, you couldn't tell the difference!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

I'm going to invoke the under 35 rule and not comment, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

ok, then take off your glasses and turn off your hearing aid!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

That's funny right there.  I don't like slosh  slick plastic knob though.

Randy do you want me to send the gold arm directly to you or have Fred go ahead as he is building your other  reel?

John

exp2000

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 25, 2017, 02:55:29 PM
Anybody own both that can offer an opinion on their preferred choice to actually use?

I own the 525 mag kinda by accident, but am impressed with the drags.

Yeah, I got both.
They are both great reels. Both have very different but very smooth drag systems.

The one thing that has always annoyed me with the SLOSH is the vertical gearbox alignment.
It really can be a PIA, especially when trying to mount on a trigger winch rod. As seen in the pic, the reel clamp comes in handy here.

At least on the Mag, Daiwa has made some attempt to address this.
Why they never did this on the SLOSH, I will never know.

I have not done much casting with the Mag, but the SLOSH was my go to reel when spinning for mackerel off the local jetty in the old days. I can think of no better overhead casting reel in it's class.

It replaced a TSM IV as the heavy spool would literally draw blood on an aggressive cast. The problem was so bad that I had the spool turned down at a local engineering shop in an attempt to lighten it.

But the SLOSH with it's nice light spool ultimately solved this problem.
~